Bump start

General Bike chat
logan7

Bump start

Post by logan7 »

Having not been out on bike for a few weeks,holidays and things.. :lol:
Went out this morning bike started fine, dropping daughter at work then off for a good run. Bike stalls as i stop out side to drop her off,will not turn over :x battery flat :evil:
Has any one successfully bumb started a storm 8O not me :cry:
Used jump leads no prob and then turned over on the button when i got home :? Bike just letting me know not to lever her 2 weeks without taking her out :roll:
The force is strong in this one
jpickup

Post by jpickup »

only ever managed on a downhill with a bit of speed, dropping all my weight onto the pillion seat while letting out the clutch.

in 5 years of VTR ownership, I'm now on my 3rd battery! (down to lack of use in winters, etc)
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

I managed to bump mine the other day. Down a gentle slope in third, kind of paddled it until I thought I was going fast enough then let the clutch out. However, the first attempt was a disaster tried it in second, locked up the rear wheel and almost lost it.
1999 Firestorm - Red - Dynojet Stage 1 - K&N filter - Remus Cans (was Scorpion).
logan7

Post by logan7 »

I tried 2nd 3rd 4th no luck . I was looking at a hill to run down but jump leads a lot better. :wink: I best start looking at the price of batterys then :cry:
The force is strong in this one
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Buy an Optimate and it'll never go flat. Mine used to drain the battery in two/three weeks due to the Meta alarm, now its fine. Lot cheaper than buying three batteries in 5 years too!
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

I ran out of petrol :oops: :oops: and had to walk to the station and get some. On returning - battery flat - i was on my own and on a flat road. Ran along side - nearly dropped it when i jumped on as my foot caught on the seat hump 8O then dropped the clutch in first and it fired, nearly throwing me off for a second time. Bloke on a big BMW tourer thing didn't even stop to help as he saw me trying to push 190kg of dead weight up the road. Bast***! :evil:

Best bet - find a friend :wink:

To return to the original question, yes you can bump start it and it seems to work even in first! Despite the high compression
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

mellis said
To return to the original question, yes you can bump start it and it seems to work even in first! Despite the high compression
Corr!
You must have a fat ass. Mine'll lock the back wheel in first, I can only do it in second :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.l
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Yeah Pete agree with you on that, tried it down a really steep hill and all that happened was the rear locked and skidded, just not heavy enough....................odd cos people still call me a fat b***tard
it may be clever, but its not big.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Never tried it on a v twin !
But i remembercarapping myself the first time i bump started a zx10 !
Jumped on it and landed on the tank ! :lol: Crushed me conkers and had to hold on for dear life squinting through tears til i could find the brakes ! :oops:
The girlfriend was pissin erself laffin !!! :roll:
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

Pete.L wrote:You must have a fat ass. Mine'll lock the back wheel in first, I can only do it in second
Cheeky bastar* 8O

I'm only 12 stone!!!!

Have done it a couple of times when i have left the ignition on for too long. Maybe it's my natural talent! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mellis wrote: Maybe it's my natural talent! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's what it'll be mate :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Okay, you win, you must have the knack. I weigh 12.5 stone :oops:

Paul AKA NHR1234, AKA Rainmaker and now AKA FBas...??
:P :P :P
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

yellafella wrote:Never tried it on a v twin !
But i remembercarapping myself the first time i bump started a zx10 !
Jumped on it and landed on the tank ! :lol: Crushed me conkers and had to hold on for dear life squinting through tears til i could find the brakes ! :oops:
The girlfriend was pissin erself laffin !!! :roll:
I had to cross my legs just reading about it!!! :lol: :lol:
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
chaos

Post by chaos »

Tried it once, nver again :oops: found my self at the bottom of a not very big hill, (but it seemed huge when I had to push the bike back up it) with a still not going bike, and very knackered.

My RD200 was a piece of cake to bump start though,

However,

Important to note, when you are 17 and cool as **ck, if your RD200 has a flat battery after fueling it up, do make sure your seat is hinged down and locked in place, coz if you catch your boot on the edge of the seat and it flips up, you end up in a snottery heap on the floor :oops: :oops: :oops: