which welder??

General Biker Banter
tattoo

Re: which welder??

Post by tattoo »

I've looked at these...

Sealet MIGHTYMIG100/100amp turbo+free helmet

WOLF 140amp turbo+ hand held mask

I'd be buying a good mask whether I get 1 in a package deal or not because I've seen what accidental flash does to your eyes...not good at all..
?.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I've got an old Arc welder, stands me in nish...Yours if you want to come & get it... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
warby221

Post by warby221 »

I know I know haven’t posted in years but I do come on and have a look at the posts
Right sage advice on welders
MMA /manual metal arc / stick welding
Grate for gates, wrought iron work, and heavy sheet
You can stick weld mild steel, stainless and a few other materials
Some say aluminium too but I’ve never had any good results with it on ally
There’s also a host of add on’s that are meant to let you braze and the like There pants
Pro’s cheap equipment cost to start with
Con’s takes a long time to get good, rods can be expensive and is very limited to what it can do
skill level 3 out of 5 to do a good job consistently
MIG/ metal inert gas/mig monkeying
Grate for mild steel, hobby sets can weld up to 4mm without much fuss, takes little time to run a good weld consistently and set up cost about twice that of MMA .easy to use on thin stuff too
Can be used on stainless with the right wire
Pro’s easy to use, cheap to set up learning curve short and can put down weld fast when you can use it
Con’s gas can be expensive, gasless wire a pain to use and breaks a lot and still limited to what it can do and you’ll find them quick
skill level 1.5 out of 5 to do a good job consistently
TIG/tungsten inert gas
Probably the most versatile way of welding will weld aluminium, stainless steel, mild steel and most over metal with the right filler wire and gas. Costs a lot more to set up with equipment than the others and there is a need to use more than one type of gas and tungsten’s depending on what your welding. Heavy ally welding will need a water cooled troche and big amp welder to.
Pro’s can weld just about anything using the right wire and gas probably the only welder you’ll need
Con’s welding set, gas, tungsten’s and troche can be expensive; setup cost high, skill level needed is high
skill level 4.5 out of 5 to do a good job consistently

As some know I’ve been a welder fabricator for over 30 years and spend most of my time at work manufacturing stainless tanks and reaction vessels and welding them with tig as it happens so I’m speaking with a little knowledge
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Wow Warby, there's a blast from the past! Thanks for the advice, always good to hear from someone who knows what they're talking about, not always the case unfortunately.
So given your skill level when are you going to start manufacturing larger tanks for the Storm?? :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Good to see you on here Warby :thumbup: You will be glad to hear your spare engine is in my bike now and running like a dream :thumbup:
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The spirits have arisen. :lol:

Kev I'm surprised you have not mentioned Titanium. :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Nice to hear from you Warby, I remember seeing the excellent job you did on an exhaust for Timbo's Triumph.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

thanks for the welcome back chaps
You will be glad to hear your spare engine is in my bike now and running like a dream
told yer it was a good un even if it had an extra bolt :oops: :oops: from somewhere
Kev I'm surprised you have not mentioned Titanium
have done a little Titanium welding it's a bugger if you get it too hot it go's brittle done some odd ball stuff to like magnesium
I remember seeing the excellent job you did on an exhaust for Timbo's Triumph
still love the sound of that one chris sounds like the battle of Brittan memorial flight when your behind it "all of them"

should have added that if your thinking of doing a bit of ally welding you need a set that will run AC current and at leased 170 amps for thin stuff
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC