Rear sprocket teeth

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
daveuprite

Re: Rear sprocket teeth

Post by daveuprite »

Yeah, agree with you completely smokinjoe. I don't understand people who spend a grand on a full system for more power but leave gearing standard. The single cheapest and most effective change you can make to a sports bike is to gear it down for better accelaration. Would you seriously care if you traded a 180mph top end on your ZX10R for 160mph? - when the far more relevant gain of losing a tooth off the front sprocket is noticeably more thrust and a bike that feels so much more alive. The example of my TL (above) is extreme but you will get a really good result with just one tooth off the front. That's a £25 mod! When I raced in the UK, I was constantly matching my sprockets to the circuit, and getting it wrong could cost a couple of seconds a lap as you hit peak revs half way down the straight or have to change at the wrong point for a particular corner.

Of course there are those who are chasing better mpg figures when touring, and for them a front sprocket tooth added to standard will yield decent extra mileage when touring. But for me personally that's not why you buy a motorbike...

Dave