Cct's leaking?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pops

Cct's leaking?

Post by Pops »

Hello, just thought I'd take a good look around the bike before setting off to work. Noticed a drip of oil from end of back tensioner. Should I be worried? I'm ordering manual ones today..

I've double checked the are and it's leaking from the rear tensioner at the end. 8O

Not pouring, just odd drip.
Wicky

Re: Cct's leaking?

Post by Wicky »

Unusual for OEM tensioner to leak as there's a gasket at the base and they're pretty much sealed. It can happen with manual tensioners when oil creeps up and past the central tensioner bolt - easily stopped by applying thread lock when installing & setting it up.

Have you a photo?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Pops

Post by Pops »

I can upload a photo on lunch, the auto tensioner has a gasket and it's dry at that end. It seems to be from the end where the little 10ml nut is. Had no choice but to go work on it and checked it again as I pulled up and it's not leaked anymore. Will update on lunch around 1pm. There is no unusual noises etc.. And i've now paid for manual ones tobe sent from a forum member :) ( so paranoid about having auto ones fitted ) :?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The good news is that is shows the rear CCT is getting lubed, but the front one due to its positioning doesn't get the same oiling, and it seems to be no coincidence this is the one generally where the spring fails.

Wise move getting on with replacing with manuals to be on the safe side. Read up on the replacement procedure in the workshop knowledgebase, make sure the timing access caps can be undone on the day, have all the parts and tools on hand, and give yourself an unrushed afternoon to complete the job.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRdH

Post by VTRdH »

@ pops
I dispatch the cct's today together with complete instruction for installation.
If any questions, don't hesitate to contact me, it's not so difficult as it looks, just take your time and use common sence :D
Distributor KRIEGER manual cct's
VTR parts supplier worldwide
Pops

Post by Pops »

Lol, are you going to replace the engine if i fail ? xD

Thanks for the immediate dispatch of cct's, think my auto ones should hold out for another 500 mile s? xD :eek2
VTRdH

Post by VTRdH »

Pops wrote:Lol, are you going to replace the engine if i fail ? xD

Thanks for the immediate dispatch of cct's, think my auto ones should hold out for another 500 mile s? xD :eek2
Well, i just worked on my blue VTR for some time, replaced several parts (cylinderhead, cct's etc) as it had cct damage on front head, next project will be my red VTR, some maintenace and cct replacement. so not lookin for another project at the moment :D
I could deliver you a another engine if you fail, that's no problem, can ship to UK. :o
Distributor KRIEGER manual cct's
VTR parts supplier worldwide
Pops

Post by Pops »

VTRdH wrote:@ pops
I dispatch the cct's today together with complete instruction for installation.
If any questions, don't hesitate to contact me, it's not so difficult as it looks, just take your time and use common sence :D
I wonder if you have skype and a few hours spare when they arrive ? Lol :)
darkember

Post by darkember »

Just a quite note. Manual CCTs will also leak especially common on the rear one dripping from the adjuster thread. To overcome this, use gasket sealant on the threaded part where the lock nut seats during the setup process.