Luggage options.

General Biker Banter
Rob

Luggage options.

Post by Rob »

I really enjoyed the Yorkshire Op Storm and would like to do more of them.

Luckily there was spare tent space so I didn't have to carry a tent but even so I didn't even manage to get the bare minimum in my rucksack (no bottle of Scotch :x) Plus, even though it's a good one it's a bit uncomfortable when stuffed full.

So what do you recommend for a rear rack/bag? I've seen some I like but what the hell does 56L capacity mean? I have no idea what that can hold....

Also a tank bag but nothing too big and with a waterproof compartment for a map or car GPS. (Bike ones are too expensive!)

This is what I was looking at http://www.ventura-bike.com/products/bi ... p0656.aspx
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
Wicky

Re: Luggage options.

Post by Wicky »

what the hell does 56L capacity mean? I have no idea what that can hold....
Approx 75 bottles of wine Image
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Rob

Post by Rob »

Wicky wrote:Approx 75 bottles of wine
That should be enough for a weekend if I don' t share :lol: :beer:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

This is the 3rd time I have had to type this now. First time I wrote it out wicky posted a reply and when it showed his post before it would post mine I pressed the wrong button so it dissapeared. Then I type it out again and then my computer shows a error page when I clicked submit so here is 3rd time lucky :lol:

I have a 125L army burgen and you could fit Ady inside it. With everything bigger is better.

Get some throw over paniers and a tank bag. There cheap enough and there is plenty to choose from. Using the paniers and rear seat as a large base you can stack stuff on top of them and use bungies to tie them all down. If you carry pillion and want some room as there butt will be taking up the rear seat get a rentec rack. Don't make the same mistake I did when me and the missus when camping last year :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't want panniers. I don't carry a passenger.

The bergen looks like a good cheap option that I could strap to the rear without a rack.

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WEB-TEX-LIGHT ... 0832750846
Last edited by Rob on Mon May 27, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

You can spend a fortune on luggage or go down the tight git route.
My tank bag was from lidles (£28), there is another layer that can get zipped to it but I think it's too tall, then my bivy bag is from lumo (£11.50). Bivy bag just gets rolled down to the size you need then strapped to the back. Both are totally water proof as my trip home today proved.
I'm sure I could have got a few bottles and the glasses if I had remembered :( . Won't forget for next time. :beer:
Not sure how we're going to get the bonfire in, :confused
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

rob, i managed to get one of those Ventura racks on ebay and have a 45l bag to fit on it. i can put just a grabrail on it or remove all the racks and just leave the rails which blend in well. it looks like the ideal soft luggage as you can remove it all when you arrive at camp, but is very well fixed to the bike when you are traveling

I also have an Oxford magnetic tank bag which is good for abut 30L when expanded and the matching throw-over panniers, then I have a collection of waterproof roll top bags that I can strap onto the seat and the other side of the ventura rack.

This was my IOM packing before I got the ventura

AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Best for long hauls too keep weight of back - though locally I carry my cricket bag slung across my back and sitting on pillion seat but it can be fun when it slips to one side :eek2 .

Throwover panniers and a seat bag (and multiple bungies securing a tent, slurping bag, folding chair, kitchen sink etc), with a tank bag are the way to go.

Something like this but instead of hard cases I have soft throw-overs - Good enough for journeys to Cornwall and Holland etc.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks grumpyfrog - the Bivi bag looks good as it can be half filled and rolled up tight and attached to other luggage :thumbup:

The 45L bag looks pretty big Al, might be the way to go. Not cheap but I can get a Ventura rack for the VTR and Griso and get one Ventura bag to use on both plus something like a bivi bag or bergen to strap on if I needed more space.

Thanks guys, I'll probably go for a bivi/bergen and some straps and see how that works and maybe add a rack later to make it more secure. If I do longer touring I can get a Ventura bag as well to carry more and than strap anything else to that. I travel light so that should be good :thumbup:

*Edit - what tank bags do you use? It must be something easy to remove for the frequent fuel stops.....
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
adyf

Post by adyf »

Hi rob I use a magnetic Hein gericke tankbag it holds GPS has clear map pocket,expands when needed has built in raincover etc about 30quid really well made,easy to get to fuel tank.cheerz ady.
Rob

Post by Rob »

adyf wrote:Hi rob I use a magnetic Hein gericke tankbag it holds GPS has clear map pocket,expands when needed has built in raincover etc about 30quid really well made,easy to get to fuel tank.cheerz ady.
Cheers Ady, I'm a big fan of Hein Gericke so will take a look. Don't think magnetic would work for the Griso though but maybe I can get a strap on magnetic mount for it. The Moto Guzzi tank bag doesn't have a map pocket so I need alternatives :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.