New here? Come in and introduce yourself
woaty

cct

Post by woaty »

right boys ccts have arrived so hands dirty 2moz :lol: this could go tits up
lumpyv

Re: cct

Post by lumpyv »

good luck mate. plenty of on line help available here (not from me :roll: )
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Just take you time and double check everything. The important thing to watch out for is you timing marks when moving from the rear to the front. Turn one and a quarter turns, you will see the FT pass the mark once and when it comes around again for the second time you will be on the compression stroke at TDC.

If you get stuck or unsure on anything, then post up on the forum. Someone will be about for guidance. :thumbup:

I take it you have tried you generator caps to make sure they loosen off OK and are not seized on. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Hi.. Just a quickie... did you get the APE or the Krieger made ccts
from the USA.. or did you get a different set. I might have to get some
soon but I'd like to know which ones you went fer... :P
thanx
Alb
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I got some from a member on here, rider on a storm
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17053

Either them kreiger or APE are good there not much in them really, And all are better than keeping the original Honda Auto's.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I bought mine from A.P.E. had really good efficient service from them.... :thumbup:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

i got mine home grown from Bazza :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
woaty

Post by woaty »

Saintsman27 wrote:Hi.. Just a quickie... did you get the APE or the Krieger made ccts
from the USA.. or did you get a different set. I might have to get some
soon but I'd like to know which ones you went fer... :P
thanx
Alb
hi bud there where ape from ebay £54.00
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i have just ordered some from an engineering firm in Hampshire, i will post once i have got them and fitted them on. They were £60.00 for 2 and look good and were made to a drawing i have done(sort of copied) I may need some advise how to fit etc. Some guy has told me that providing you dont turn the engine when you take them out you dont need to be at TDC etc? my question is ,how do you know when you have the correct tension on the Chain etc ie how far to you screw the bolt in?
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

bigtwinthing wrote:. Some guy has told me that providing you dont turn the engine when you take them out you dont need to be at TDC etc? my question is ,how do you know when you have the correct tension on the Chain etc ie how far to you screw the bolt in?
The guy you are talking to is badly informed, that only apples to inline 4 cyl engines, and if you listen to him you will end up with bent valves. with a single or a V2 (which is just 2 singles) you have to go to TDC to take the pressure off the chain

if you look in the workshop knowledge base section you will get all the instructions you need on how to do it. these are established specifically for this bike, and have been shown to work without fail.

all instructions on tensioning are also in there, but my chosen method was suggested by another of our members and is also foolproof.

1) remove rear cam cover and rotate engine till rear cyl is at TDC based on Sirch's instructions for cam position.
2) remove old CCT
3) fit new manual CCT putting a loctite on the adjuster bolt where it passes through the body. and wind it in as far as it can go by hand.. you dont need to be gentle, but dont use a spanner, you just want to find the point when the chain has no slack. with a marker pen mark the side of the adjuster nut and body for this position.
4) back off the CCT adjuster till you can measure 7mm chain slack `(total up + down slack) on the top run of the cam chain. but remember how far you turned it out from the dead stop position. then fit the locknut.
5) rotatel engine to front CCT following the instructions as per 1)
6) remove CCT
7) put loctite on new CCT and fit. then wind in till you hit the dead stop with the chain fully tight and back off the same roation as you did in step 4. this will give you 7mm slack without the hassel of removing the fron cam cover.

its all in the knowledge base section so have a good read, and then read again, and dont listen to anybody else who doesnt own a firestorm!
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Agree you most certainly have to have the timing set on these before removing. In fact when I first done mine I never had the front timing marks lined up correctly and when I removed the old tensioner I felt it spring back on me me and it slipped, so ended up removing the cam cover to correct it.

For you or anyone else reading this thread.

You can either go for the stop mod http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416
Which is the Honda auto CCT's that are converted to a fail safe. So when it does fail, it don't send the valves crashing.

Or

You go for the full manual conversion, your options are here
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

Then with regards to fitting View Topic
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

Note if replacing with manuals there is no need to lock off the Honda tensioners. This only if doing a stop mod. Once the timing is correct it's safe to just remove the old Honda ones.

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

cheers Guys
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

+1, your mechanic isn't aware of the facts.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
woaty

Post by woaty »

bigtwinthing wrote:i have just ordered some from an engineering firm in Hampshire, i will post once i have got them and fitted them on. They were £60.00 for 2 and look good and were made to a drawing i have done(sort of copied) I may need some advise how to fit etc. Some guy has told me that providing you dont turn the engine when you take them out you dont need to be at TDC etc? my question is ,how do you know when you have the correct tension on the Chain etc ie how far to you screw the bolt in?
hi bud/ make sure you are on TDC on the compression stroke then fit cct , screw in till you just feel tention then screw back half a turn or so start the bike let it warm up then tweek it till the chain just stops ticking done mine last week seems all ok hope this helps :thumbup:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

woaty wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:i have just ordered some from an engineering firm in Hampshire, i will post once i have got them and fitted them on. They were £60.00 for 2 and look good and were made to a drawing i have done(sort of copied) I may need some advise how to fit etc. Some guy has told me that providing you dont turn the engine when you take them out you dont need to be at TDC etc? my question is ,how do you know when you have the correct tension on the Chain etc ie how far to you screw the bolt in?
hi bud/ make sure you are on TDC on the compression stroke then fit cct , screw in till you just feel tention then screw back half a turn or so start the bike let it warm up then tweek it till the chain just stops ticking done mine last week seems all ok hope this helps :thumbup:

Cheers matey, iam looking forward to getting them. Regards Paul.