A good deed.

General Biker Banter
MacV2

A good deed.

Post by MacV2 »

So there I was slaving away over a hot mouse, Friday afternoon 4 jobs to go before home time.

1st of the four is an old girl that I did the inspection for mice just last week. I have been there before earlier in the year several times, it's a mouse job boys no other reason...

So she opens the door after a while but seems to be all over the place & defiantly 'not right'.

I do what I do & check all the boxes to see if Micky & friends have been havin' a nibble on the bait. Meanwhile Mrs Dribble is standing in the door way swaying about & mumbling about she thinks she's poisoned herself !

Any-way's, being a bit worried about the state she is in, as it is not how she normally was when I had been there before. So I start to question her about what she means about poisoning herself, & she starts to go through all these packs of pills on the table but is very very incoherent !

Worried that she may have OD on the prescription med's I thought it prudent to call an ambulance.

Just over an hour later... the first responder car turns up.

Whilst I was waiting I called the office & told my manager what the situation was & that he would have to cancel or pass on my other work as I was not going to leave until the ambulance turned up, of course he was very happy with that & said no problem Mac...not!

Poor old girl was all over the place, by now I had made her sit down & was trying to keep her talking, most of which was her repeatedly saying that she didn't understand ''all this techknowlic...'' ( basically I translated this after further probing that she couldn't work out how to use the boiler controls, which explained the heating being on full blast...) I also got her to tell me if she had any close relatives & that I would call them if she had a number.

(sound of me putting number in phone...) brurr brurr brurr...'Hello' Hello is that Julie...? ''Yes'' My name is Mac I work for the council & I'm at your mothers flat, she is not at all well & I've called an ambulance as I'm concerned about her state & health . I thought I'd ring you & see if you could come over to be with her. ''Oh, well I can't come over now, but thanks for letting me know.'' (slightly stunned by this response, but sort of not surprised at the same time.) A few other things were said & that was that end of call.

When the paramedics turned up I handed over to them & gave them as much detail as I had managed to find out. Hadn't eaten or drunk anything all day, not been out to the shops so not eating properly all week, went to doc's on Monday, is slightly diabetic but controlled with diet only all that sort of thing. Found some keys & a coat & they loaded her in to the ambulance.

I did learn something out of all this, elderly & infirm persons will often have a plastic bottle in the fridge which has all their medical details on a piece of paper, known as a 'message in a bottle'

I went back to the office to find that everyone had feked off home early.

Got home over an hour later than normal.

Good deed for the day done & dusted.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Re: A good deed.

Post by Wicky »

Well done in the circumstances! Did the relative tell you she was diabetic? Surprised at their and your bosses couldn''t care less attitude but phoning 999 and sticking by her was the right thing to do.

The only thing you could have done would have been to give her a digestive biscuit or two with a sweet cup of tea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_he ... lood.shtml
If you're in doubt as to whether a diabetic is having a hypoglycaemic attack or a hyperglycaemic attack it's safer to give some sugar, as it may massively improve a 'hypo' but wont make much difference to a 'hyper'
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

well done mac :clap:
i hate the way our alders get forgotten about :oops: even more so from there relatives :Argue 1:
freakdazzer

Post by freakdazzer »

:clap: good for you,glad their are some decent human beings out there,must be all firestorm owners
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

lloydiecbr wrote:well done mac :clap:
i hate the way our alders get forgotten about :oops: even more so from there relatives :Argue 1:
in general they cba.
but you can guarantee they'd be first in the queue to empty her house and claim the will :Argue 1:
that's someone's mother.
she's probably struggled half her life to bring her children up, only to be abandoned when she needs hem most.
very sad.

respect to you mac for staying with her. mustve been very frightening for her,
and crouton the boss.
i had a similar thing when i stopped with a guy who'd binned his bike on diesel.... boss said he'd dock me for any lost time.
and all the impatient barstards who were trying to nudge their cars past while there was a guy down in the road.

some people are so selfish it's beyond belief.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

well done mac
as some of you know whilst in the uk i live with my nan, so i understand about what our elders have to go thru, its shameful that family doesn't seem to care these days, but you did the right thing, i hope you have that warm fuzzy feeling.... :thumbup:
believe it or not when i drop a female customer home at night, i wait for them to enter there front door before driving off. and that doesn't mean i'm stalking them honest your honour.... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Good on you Mac :thumbup: Glad there are still people around who do give a wombles :thumbup:

Marty, are you sure it is wise to bring Carl round to your Nans house? 8O
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Marty, are you sure it is wise to bring Carl round to your Nans house?
What are you implying. I switch into a responsible caring mode with OAP's Bless them.

Mac Well done, good man. You may even get a date out of it when she is back home :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

As I tell the lads I work with, it`s nice to be nice. Good on you Mac :clap:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Welcome to my world.... (care manager- we have these sort of incidents quite reguarly).

We had a four and a half hour wait for an ambulance last week, when one elderly lady had fallen. Because there was a carer with her, they lowered the priority.
After four hours we called and said she had stopped responding, and they came pretty quickly after that. Truth is she HAD stopped responding. There's only so many time in four hours you can get a response to the question: "are you still ok laying there?"
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Marty, are you sure it is wise to bring Carl round to your Nans house? 8O[/quote]

are you suggesting is like that little britain, where theres nan love going on...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bigspanishmarty wrote:Marty, are you sure it is wise to bring Carl round to your Nans house? 8O

are you suggesting is like that little britain, where theres nan love going on...... :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Brilliant ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bigspanishmarty wrote:well done mac
as some of you know whilst in the uk i live with my nan, so i understand about what our elders have to go thru, its shameful that family doesn't seem to care these days, but you did the right thing, i hope you have that warm fuzzy feeling.... :thumbup:
believe it or not when i drop a female customer home at night, i wait for them to enter there front door before driving off. and that doesn't mean i'm stalking them honest your honour.... :wink:
Yeah sort of a warm fuzzy feeling, I'm off down to the Doc's on Monday hopefully he'll prescribe something for it. :lol:

As for the waiting for your customers to enter the front door... Do they all run as fast as they can as soon as the cab door shuts ? :wink:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

As for the waiting for your customers to enter the front door... Do they all run as fast as they can as soon as the cab door shuts ? :wink:[/quote]

its like something out of a horror film, you can see them fumbling with there keys, and everytime they look back, i'm getting closer and closer.... :Behind 2:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Good stuff Mac :thumbup:

I'd still like to think most people would go to the aid of someone in need, although on a cop programme the other day they said their expectation is never to expect any help from the public. Sad times I think.