Urm, greetings.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Virt

Urm, greetings.

Post by Virt »

Hey, I've been a casual stalker on this forum for about a week or so now so I thought I'd sign up. I'm sad to say I do not currently only a VTR, however I should be purchasing one next month provided I have the funds and the seller (private seller) doesn't forget about my deposit... Hope that's okay? :D
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
lumpyv

Re: Urm, greetings.

Post by lumpyv »

i don't know? i expect it is ? welcome on board any way

good time of year to get a nice bargain. have you had a v twin before?

cheers :thumbup: :beer:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Thanks :D I'm probably gonna get a good bollocking from someone for saying this.. :P

I got my license in October, and so my only big bike so far is my 1999 CB600F (in yellow.. Kinda has to be) and I was going to move onto the VTR in October after my first year, restricted of course, so I'm kinda planning in advance. I don't actually know anyone who rides twins, or anything. I've only ridden In-Line 4's and had a nip of my Dad's 1050 triple.. But I've always preferred the sound and low end power that V-Twins will provide over having to reach 7k to get any noticeable power
Last edited by Virt on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

good stuff. yep nice low down grunty power is the thing. from looking on here you will probably know there are a few well documented problem areas with the vtr, none of which are too bad if addressed before rather than after
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Yeah, the CCT is a well known sob story, I plan on checking that out whenever I go to pick up the bike and I'll have 9 months before I'm riding it to customise it to my hearts, and bank accounts :/ , desire anyway. Apparently from reviews on other sites though, the clutch is horrible and the forks like to pogo into your face or something along those lines? :P
playerone

Post by playerone »

Virt wrote:Thanks :D I'm probably gonna get a good bollocking from someone for saying this.. :P

I got my license in October, and so my only big bike so far is my 1999 CB600F (in yellow.. Kinda has to be) and I was going to move onto the VTR in October after my first year, restricted of course, so I'm kinda planning in advance. I don't actually know anyone who rides twins, or anything. I've only ridden In-Line 4's and had a nip of my Dad's 1050 triple.. But I've always preferred the sound and low end power than V-Twins will provide over having to reach 7k to get any noticeable power
I had a cbr600f for about 3 months(ish) after passing my test and went straight onto a vtr, there's a few on the forum that have gone more or less straight on to them so your definitely not the first nor last I suspect :thumbup: just be wary of the torque of these things, take it easy for the first couple of weeks to get used to it and you'll be fine :twisted:
Virt

Post by Virt »

playerone wrote:
Virt wrote:Thanks :D I'm probably gonna get a good bollocking from someone for saying this.. :P

I got my license in October, and so my only big bike so far is my 1999 CB600F (in yellow.. Kinda has to be) and I was going to move onto the VTR in October after my first year, restricted of course, so I'm kinda planning in advance. I don't actually know anyone who rides twins, or anything. I've only ridden In-Line 4's and had a nip of my Dad's 1050 triple.. But I've always preferred the sound and low end power than V-Twins will provide over having to reach 7k to get any noticeable power
I had a cbr600f for about 3 months(ish) after passing my test and went straight onto a vtr, there's a few on the forum that have gone more or less straight on to them so your definitely not the first nor last I suspect :thumbup: just be wary of the torque of these things, take it easy for the first couple of weeks to get used to it and you'll be fine :twisted:
Haha, oh that's not a concern. I bought my Hornet from my brother who just came off his restrictor and went onto his VFR800 V-TEC and he forgot to tell me how worn the chain is. Dropped it a few times on the way out of Sixth Form as it's a 90 degree turn off a pavement, but it's sorted now. But my lesson was learnt, I'm not the worlds' fastest rider anyway. I've taken the bike up to its' limit before at 95mph but there's just no need for it. It's naked, uncomfortable and noisy. I don't have anything to prove about the size of my cojones
playerone

Post by playerone »

95........you'll soon change ur mind about ringing the storms neck, tucked in behind the fairing and a set of loud pipes roaring at 9000rpm :biggrin it's very addictive :twisted: :twisted: and deceptively easy :thumbup:
Virt

Post by Virt »

playerone wrote:95........you'll soon change ur mind about ringing the storms neck, tucked in behind the fairing and a set of loud pipes roaring at 9000rpm :biggrin it's very addictive :twisted: :twisted: and deceptively easy :thumbup:
One of the reasons my next bike is gonna have fairings ;) And also considering I'm currently a student I can rarely afford to have fun on the bike.. If I hit so much as 7-8k rpm I lose the best part of about 10mpg cause I'll refuse to back off the throttle :(
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome :-)
Nice and local to me to :/)
Virt

Post by Virt »

lloydiecbr wrote:Hello and welcome :-)
Nice and local to me to :/)
Thanks :) Yeah, don't worry though. Like I said in the first post, I don't have a nice yellow VTR to be the most beautiful in the area :3

... Yet
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Lol but they are the slowest is them yellows :-) just as any of them who owns one :-)
Virt

Post by Virt »

Hmm, we'll see. I have no intentions to keep it plain and boring though, thinking of a nice Repsol Honda paint job to steal the thunder. I don't think it's possible to argue that that would be a slow colour :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Welcome to the forum :beer: Forks, yes are on the soft side and at standard can bottom out on big potholes or extremely heavy breaking. A spring upgrade and change of fork oil is a worthwhile upgrade. Clutch is not so much a problem on these, some do get a bit of clutch grab that can be problematic if racing. The VTR is a reasonably good all round bike but there is no way you will get 10mpg :lol: It does have it's quirks and most of all they are fun and have the grin factor. All the power one needs on the roads.

Enjoy :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote: The VTR is a reasonably good all round bike but there is no way you will get 10mpg
I think I phrased it badly, I meant I lost 10mpg from my usual fuel economy, rather than actually getting 10mpg. Think I'd have to cruise at 15,000 Rpm constantly to get anything near that :L
How much would the spring upgrade cost? I'm pretty sure we have some really good oil around the shed somewhere, considering we only topped my forks up the other month