R1 Mirrors

General Bike chat
Max

R1 Mirrors

Post by Max »

Do any of you have R1 mirrors fitted, they seem to have the same bolt spacing and I was wandering if they allowed you to see more than just your elbows.

Max
memnoch

Post by memnoch »

I believe there only good to check that u haven’t got snot dribbling down ure nose and prevents embarrassment
I can't spell so don't take the p*ss! Seriously!
As written by my partner.
Fester

mirrors

Post by Fester »

Yes I have them fitted (think they were 2000 R1; be careful as it isn't ANY R1 mirrors, as they are different for each year). The dealer where I got them was very helpful, and must have spent a good hour buggering about trying mirrors from various years (R6 ones too, which didn't work for me)

Definite improvement (not hard though, the originals are as poor as you will find on any bike) although still not as good as I'd prefer. Cost me £88, so they ain't cheap :roll:

Good luck
fester
Max

Post by Max »

The ones that busters are selling with the same spacing (27mm) are for 2000 r1/6's and are 18.50 a side which didnt seem too bad to me. I just thought it would be nice to see behind for a change, as I get older I get more paranoid that someones following me
Fester

mirrors

Post by Fester »

Max - I forgot to state that the mirrors I bought are genuine Yamaha (but I'm sure you worked that bit out :D

I friend has the 'pattern' ones on his Storm, and although they 'work' the image is decidedly fuzzy, so you pays yer money an takes yer choice!
fester
L8RGYZ

Post by L8RGYZ »

I've got the R1 mirrors on mine & they are a definite improvement over stock. The angle they sit at is swept a bit too far back, so I used a rubber faucet washer to tilt it more forward & that helped.
It's better, but not ideal. I may save for some Magical Racing mirrors. They have a ball joint in the mount, as well as half way up the stalk, so adjusting them should be a snap. They're pricey @ 36000 yen, but probably worth it.
magicalracing.co.jp is the URL. Looks like top stuff.
It's about the road, not about the chrome.

'98 Super Hawk
TapeWorks Graphics, SS f&r Brakelines, Progrip 724, Galindo bar-ends, R1 CF Mirrors, Puig CF Hugger
Max

Post by Max »

they got nice mirrors but 36000 yen is more then I had inteneded to pay.

Max
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

I bought some a few years back and they work great. Had to modify them a tad. Here's the post for back then..

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/phpBB2 ... ht=mirrors

"Okay, I ended up buying some '03 R1 mirrors off Ebay. They are not plug-n-play. Unlike the vtr mirrors, you can not adjust them forwards and backwards. They are pushed way back. You can only see your nuts in that position. So hears what I did.

The R1 mirrors are held together with a pin (rivet). I had to grind that off to release the stem from the mount. When your grinding, point away from your face. This thing has tension-type washers which shot off in every direction when the pin finally gave. I scrapped the R1 mount and used the vtr mount. I had to open the hole on the stem a bit to accomodate the vtr mount screw. Then I gathered up all them washers that went flying and filled in the extra space in the mount. I used the original vtr rubber boot.

It really was pretty simple. These mirrors blow away the vtr's mirrors. They don't point as high as the originals, rather they stick out sideways a few more inches than the vtr's. Also, THEY ARE NOT TINTED!!!! The friggen vtr's mirrors are tinted, so when you want to hit triple digits, but you notice a car behind you, you'll be able to tell whether it's a cop or not.

Anyway, they worked out well and I would recommend them if you need a replacement.

One more thing... the R1 '98-'00 mirrors are different. They will fit, but they have short stems and you wont gain anything over the original mirrors. You'll need to get them off a '01-'03 model. "

Scott
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Can't honestly say I have a problem with the standard ones, except with bulky winter coat, but even then I can see most things behind me well. Maybe being of "compact" 5'7" stature helps!
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Cant see owt but me elbows without pulling me arms in etc ! Will be looking for some R1 mirrors !
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

stratman, remmber these are japanese bikes and the average jap is shorter than us lanky spindle tree dwelling british
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

After having a lucky escape with another bike ( Nutter ! ) on Sunday :evil: , decided it was time to sort my mirrors out too ! Went and bought some pattern '03 R1 mirrors to try. Bought them off ebay from bike bitz for 30 summat quid the pair.
Modified the mounts back to vtr and bobs yer wotsit ! Miles better view and clear as a bell ! :D
They have slightly longer stems, but do look good if used with vtr mounts.
Bryn Davies

Mirrors.

Post by Bryn Davies »

Hi all. 'Joined some time ago-never got around to saying hello.
Last year I bought a set of mirror extenders, Al Hurvey I think.
Well made and effective.
As per Yellafella, it's good to know what's going on around you!
Reedy

R1 MIRRORS

Post by Reedy »

Hi Bryn, where did you get your extenders ?

Cheers
Bryn Davies

Post by Bryn Davies »

Hey Kaz,

Thanks for that. Keep the gags coming!

After one of those link-to-a-link ganders, I spotted a set of m. extenders
on an American's 'bike.
They were made of aluminium (nee aluminum!) by a Don Hervey, in
the States. I will dig out the details.
I will post a picture, too. Just give me a day or two-you can tell a bit
about my computer skills by the lack funky cartoon character where
my name appears!

Other mods: Microns, Maxton fork and Scottoiler, fed to front spocket.

See you.