Loud exhausts

General Bike chat
Gavin

Loud exhausts

Post by Gavin »

As anybody had any trouble from the plod re loud exhausts. I have a pair of Arts which sound terrific, wife not too impressed or neighbours. At the present I have got the originals back on, for the MOT. but it seems a shame not to play a good tune. I normally ride East/North yorks.
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Gavin,

Tend to find that as long as you keep it sensible around built up areas etc you can get away with it, if your really worried then it might be worth sticking some decibel killers in just to take the edge off the noise.

Have a look at the link £15 each I think?

http://www.performanceracingparts.co.uk/

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Thanks very much Ian, Kaz. Looks like i have a job to do this afternoon, putting the Arts back on. if I can find a battery for my digital camera, I may be able to work out how to get a picture of the bike on the site

All the best
Gavin
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Hi Gavin, I live in Hull, well Anlaby really an I had race ARTS too but took em off cos annoyed wife, neighbours and just about anyone else but not a prob with plod...........never got stopped but always wary.
Biggest downer is insurance cover not valid if you don't tell company you got non-standard exhaust.
In the end worried too much to take the risk an put the standards back on.
it may be clever, but its not big.
paddy_skipton

Post by paddy_skipton »

hi mate
i have zorstec ovals on mine which are fookin loud,but like whats been said if you dont give em loads round town you can get away with it.
about a month ago i'd just filled up with juice when the local traffic cuntstabulary pulled up in the suburu
i set off nice and easy and they didnt give me a second glance,you can be quiet when you wanna be
i just dread this summer when the cops are having crackdowns and pulling bikes in,checking for cans,visors etc
mine aint stamped so they could fine me
saint

Post by saint »

Has anyone been pulled by the plod for having noisy cans, and what was the outcome, is it "merely" a fine or are they dishing out points for this as well? That is the only thing I am worried about
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Mine have the same words on Kaz, my excuse is that they were on when I bought the bike. I may try those db killers as the place is only at Cadwell so not too far for me.
Druid

Post by Druid »

paddy_skipton wrote: mine aint stamped so they could fine me
From MOT Testing magazine
The regulations here have changed. Now, the only issue regarding the type of exhaust is that it should not contain any notice on it which indicates that it is not for road use. As far as the noise is concerned the regulations are quite wordy but boil down to the Tester being able to fail the exhaust if the noise emitted is “clearly in excess”, of what would normally be expected.
Time to grind off the Not for road use stamps then ;)
markg

Post by markg »

Druid wrote:
paddy_skipton wrote: mine aint stamped so they could fine me
From MOT Testing magazine
The regulations here have changed. Now, the only issue regarding the type of exhaust is that it should not contain any notice on it which indicates that it is not for road use. As far as the noise is concerned the regulations are quite wordy but boil down to the Tester being able to fail the exhaust if the noise emitted is “clearly in excess”, of what would normally be expected.
Time to grind off the Not for road use stamps then ;)
Yeah that is right Druid,my Dad was a bike MOT tester(retired last Xmas)and he had always insisted I put my standard cans back on or he had to fail it.Just before he retired he said the rule had changed and as long as there was nothing stamped on the can then they were ok.Took my bike to his old garage last month for an MOT complete with very loud venom cans minus the "not for road use bit" and it passed no probs.The MOT tester did say about by rights the exhaust should not be louder than the origional one but he didn't know what my bike sounded like with legal cans and also said he felt a bit deaf that day! 8)