rear shock linkage

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
marlbororman

rear shock linkage

Post by marlbororman »

Does anyone know the part numbers off hand for the bearings / bushes in the linkage? got advisory today for the mot, but wanna strip and check before trip to tt. It had side play in it. dunno which link yet as need to get in air and strip.
Jester666

Re: rear shock linkage

Post by Jester666 »

Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat!
Silver 1998 'Storm! That keeps trying to kill me! And is leaving me soon! :(
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

thankyou, i know bout the david silver spares site, just wasnt sure of the part codes. first link was perfect. will find out which bearing/s need replacing.

Is it best to fit new dust seals too?
Jester666

Post by Jester666 »

Might as well if they look a bit perished.
Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat!
Silver 1998 'Storm! That keeps trying to kill me! And is leaving me soon! :(
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

If you can get the bearing specs or take the old ones out. Go to a local Bearing suppliers they will match them for you, much cheaper than silvers.

I got mine from a local place to me in Strood Kent, if you look around/research it you will find someone local.

IIRC there is a post somewhere with all the bearing details, poss in Workshop Knowledge Base, have a search for it.

To Just do the linkages you will need.....Bottom shock linkage, Dog leg small end & the one that connects to the swingarm. That's just the bearings.....Chances are that some or all of the bolts will be ferked & you will need the thrust spacers as well.

When I did mine the bearings were OK-ish it was the bolts rusted & seized into the thrust spacers that was the problem! The bottom shock connection & the swingarm connection were sized solid.

If you are hoping to get away with just replacing the bearings think again. You will have to strip it all down anyway so you may as well do it all for peace of mind......So add the long end of the dog leg to the list & check the swing arm bearings as well.

You will need new dust seals as you have to get the old ones out to get the bearings out, unless you happen to have all the right tools for the job you will muller them getting them out so order new.....££££££££££ in total.

Start saving, have fun, take your time & get it right.

Mac
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

lol, my mechanic mate will be helping lol all the gear too, so shouldnt be too bad :lol: :D :D Got a good bearing suppliers shop nearby too, i used em to rebuild my propshaft on 4x4, they know their stuff, ill see what they say :)
marlbororman

Post by marlbororman »

Well never got to look before the tt trip, and was off the road all last year. Put in for mot today and failed on rear shock. Managed to pick one up local, so we stripped it down completely. All the linkages where free and perfect, so mot will be sorted and shock with spring fitted cost me 27 quid. labor bugger all, cheap mot and back on the road :D Isle of man tt 2014 here we come. :D :D :D