Helmet

General Bike chat
Griff1977

Helmet

Post by Griff1977 »

I'm after a helmet and I'm looking at the AGV K-3 Rossi Gothic White; it ain't that expensive and I'm feeling guilted into buying a more expensive one. Thing is I really like this helmet. I know people say buy the most expensive helmet you can afford, but.... Any thoughts? :wink: :(
Last edited by Griff1977 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
Immediate plans:Clean it!
CB_Phil

Re: Helmet

Post by CB_Phil »

Its not bout the most expansive lid, but the best fitting. YOu can have the best one ever & if it doesnt fit right, its worthless. AGV are a good manufacturer & sure if its good enuf for the Doctor its good enuf for anyone.
Maybe I Don't Like Your Bike Either!
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Phil, thanks for that - the guilt factor is amazing because I then look through the price list and see £400 and then £150 - you can't but feel that you care less by paying less-good point about the fit though. :cool2
KriegerCCTs,HEL oil lines,+4 advancer,+1/-1 sprockets,6mm spacer,CBR1k Sidestand,'07 R1 R/R,HyperPro springs F&R,Pipe Werx SL Carbons,Oxford sports hot grips,Mori style belly
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

I have an S4 SV which is a similar helmet.

The issue I've had with mine is whistling at speeds above 40mph. Excessively so. I've read around and I'm not the only one with that problem. I wear plugs normally so I dont really mind, but for some people its a major issue.

Not sure if it affects the K3 or other AGV models, but perhaps worth doing a google or maybe a test ride if possible?
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

Griff1977 wrote:Phil, thanks for that - the guilt factor is amazing because I then look through the price list and see £400 and then £150 - you can't but feel that you care less by paying less-good point about the fit though. :cool2
I wear a Roof, not the most expensive, but wont wear anythin else. Most comfortable & best wind noise reduction of any lid Ive had (on my 3rd now)
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

I used to use an AGV lid. Found it ok. Never really had issues with it. Seemed robust enough, wasn't overly noisey. Then it went down the road with me inside it. I turned to my other lid which was a Nitro. Same as the AGV in the comfort/noise/use stakes.
Got around to browsing for a new one and came across Marushin Helmets. They looked quite good, yet you can never really tell just by looking at a picture on the web. So I went into Get Geared in Leatherhed, who stocked them.
Impressed wasn't the word I went for the RS1 Carbon. The lightest lid, circa 900 grammes, I've ever worn. Comfort fit and finish is way above the price tag. Knocks spots off my previous AGV's Nitro's etc. ACU Gold and SHARPS rated. The vents actually work and as it hasn't any side plates so is very quiet.
J&S are doing a special on them at the moment for the same price your paying for the AGV your looking at. The Marushin looks very trick in its carbon finish.

http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/marushin ... ck-xl.html
vtryorks

Post by vtryorks »

On the subject of helmets, I found designerhelmets.com to be quite helpful when I was considering buy a Roof (mentioned by someone above). Their warehouse is reasonably local to me and they were able to arrange a trial fitment of certain helmets. Might be worth a call. In the end I bought the AGV from Speedstyle as I needed it quickly due to the start of my DAS, but still, decent service deserves a mention.

PS. I'm not even remotely connected to that company, even as a customer as yet.
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

Got my last Roof from there, ordered & Delivered to Ireland in 3days, not too shabby
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

The Marushin RS1 does look good. I'm struggling to find one at the cheaper price in a large size?
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

Bit the bullet and bought my new helmet today - a good price so I paid a bit more than expected but I got a lot of helmet for it.

I got a Shark RSR2 Carbon in Indy Back/Silver. They seem to be well respected, a few years old now but nice and light and good ventilation.

Looking forward to using it!!

Griff :cool2
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

Nice lid, a few lads I know who do track racing love them, well worth the shackles
Griff1977

Post by Griff1977 »

New helmet arrived today and I'm made up - I was a bit concerned as I hadn't tried a bike helmet on for 8 years or so let alone the one I was buying here!! Bit of a risk and I probably wouldn't advise it. As soon as I saw a comment on a review that said "best for people with more round heads..." after I had re-measured mine- 60cm if your thinking, I felt it was less of a risk! It fits great and feels great. :thumbup: Just need to wear it in anger now!!
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

diverting a bit here, but- Roof helmets, bought one about 7 years ago, 010 I think it was with the white stripes- very comfy, but thought it was a bit on the loud side, ok with plugs in. are the newer ones any quieter?? only got it changed cause little one had whilst on his push bike, fell over and scratched it to bits. Never ever ever leave anything in reach of the wife or the rug rats!!
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

grumpyfrog wrote:diverting a bit here, but- Roof helmets, bought one about 7 years ago, 010 I think it was with the white stripes- very comfy, but thought it was a bit on the loud side, ok with plugs in. are the newer ones any quieter?? only got it changed cause little one had whilst on his push bike, fell over and scratched it to bits. Never ever ever leave anything in reach of the wife or the rug rats!!
My 1st one was a bit noisy, 2nd got better & now the 3rd is fantastic. Real quiet, but they gotta fit just right, when they start to get loose they get a little noisy, but new one is perfect. Tis the Daytona you have, I got the same