rattle @ 2500 - 3000rpm

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pod

rattle @ 2500 - 3000rpm

Post by pod »

New to vtr last week, and the bugger has started ticking/rattling today. Noise seems to be coming from front left of the engine. Ive just found this site and read about the cam chain things :?

The thing is its an 02 bike and only has 2k miles on it. What should i do?
Bought bike from a mate so its not as if i can take it back to the dealer - and i know its not his fault.

any clues?

Pod
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Surely the bike is still under warranty with Honda?
I'd ring your nearest Honda dealer and give them the frame number and find out pronto

Ben
mercury

Post by mercury »

Dont run it till you have it look at if its the cam chain then you may
get some bent valves to go with it :!:
So thats why i bought a bike so i could see my money and licence go quicker
pod

Post by pod »

Warranty ran out in june, so thats that out of the question.
The bike has done 2046miles 8O . I called in at Hunts Honda (manchester) on the way home last night and he confirmed what I feared. Said its definately the cam chain thingys - also said that its the only thing he ever gets problems with on the vtr. :cry:

Is it worth getting in touch with honda - I read somwhere on here that people had managed to get them to pay for the parts - even out of warranty.

Pod
RQ

Post by RQ »

You'll have replaced the CCT's twice by the time you get Honda to pay for anything!! I'm on my second set in the two years I have mine. Tick tick is good, tick tick boom isn't 8O 8O
After the thing starts ticking, it's anybodys guess how long it will last, mine ticked happily for three weeks while I waited for the part to arrive, whereas the first one started ticking, and then smack, it all went a bit hay wire inside.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !