Bike in bits :(

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
marksmiffy

Bike in bits :(

Post by marksmiffy »

Bike's in bits and it feels like someone's died :(

Been working on doing the cam timing and this is how faqr i've got:-

Seat off....Tank off....Airbox off...Rear cam cover off.....Front cover off (eventually) took me flippin ages to work out how to get the rear bolts off after removing the oil cooler.
And that's it! My baby is in bits 8O
Tried to look to see if the marks on the front nline up with the head after lining up the ft in the alternator hole and can see the mark on the front cam of the front pot but cant see the rear mark..Any ideas?

Gonna make sure these line up with the head then turn crank bout 1 1/4 turns to RT then check that hopefully it'll be out. Cocked up the big allen bolt in middle of alternator cover so got to fetch one of them tomorrow.

Not looking forward to tomorrow as it was hard enough taking it to bits....well to be honest it's just the front i'm not looking forward to reckon the rest will be a piece of cake :p

Anyway if anyone is in my area tomorrow and needs to kill time for an hour i'll make em all the tea and bacon sarnies they could manage..lmao...wish i lived closer to some of you more experienced chaps :cry:

Wish me luck
warby221

Re: Bike in bits :(

Post by warby221 »

just use a small mirror to have a look at the front timing thats all i did :thumbup:
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
alec

Post by alec »

where's your area mate ?
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
marksmiffy

Post by marksmiffy »

Near Loughborough mate...Please tell me you live down the road lol
tks for the mirror idea :)
alec

Post by alec »

marksmiffy wrote:Near Loughborough mate...Please tell me you live down the road lol
tks for the mirror idea :)
i'm in kent mate, a long way down the road, i'm a novice too mind but did my cct's ok and two pairs of hands and eyes can be better than one, shame you aint closer
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

there you go m8 i said it was easy lol!
you;'re halfway there now!
told you the cam cover was a bitch!
wait til you put it back on and oil pisses everywhere :D dont forget to make sure its sealed all the way round.
it is a bit awkward to see the front exhaust cam - i take it you still got the fairing on?

the front is only a check... just to be 100%% sure its right.
if they messed it up 180, chances are it could be a tooth out as well!
give us a call if you get stuck

if it's any consolation mines in bits as well lol but has been for the past 6mth nearly!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
marksmiffy

Post by marksmiffy »

Blimey Benny...Mine only been in bits for a day as you know and it's killin me lol..

Tell you what i struggled with the most those rear bolts on the front camshaft cover...tried an array of extensions and sockets took me flippin ages :oops:
marksmiffy

Post by marksmiffy »

Oops forgot to say....i found a square bulky bit of rubber on the floor think it could be off the tank?????

Any ideas????
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

lol remember to put the seals back on the bolts!
i forgot one and it made a right mess!

yes it is a rubber spacer off the tank - it goes between the tank & the frame toward the rear of the tank.
there should be one either side - like a slotted block of rubber about 15x20x35mm
ive lost mine as well lol!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
marksmiffy

Post by marksmiffy »

Cheers mate....thought it was off my bike lol