S'gotta go for a check up

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
SWAGGER

S'gotta go for a check up

Post by SWAGGER »

I've now put about 300 miles on the bike in four trips. I've noticed a lot of clattery noise coming from the motor. I can't put my finger on it. Doesn't really sound like ends ... I really notice it when splitting traffic, which is most of the time, the sound gets reflected back at you. I spend the journey trying to analyse the noise. I'm going to take it back for a run on the dyno and see if the xspurts can tell me what's goin' on.
The force is strong with this one!!!

Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere
Yamaha FJR1300
warby221

Re: S'gotta go for a check up

Post by warby221 »

I’m assuming you've already checked the CCT??? And the usual suspects IE drive chain exhaust clutch rattle and so on
If so
Probably water pump or oil pump chains rattling a bit
Also at the end of the crank there’s a gear that drives the clutch basket
This has a split gear on it that’s spring loaded to take out any backlash if the springs are getting a bit weak this can rattle a bit
Really need to know what side the noise is coming from to be any more help really
p.s all the above are on the right hand side
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

CCT's and drive train all new. I suspect it's a bit of clutch and the pump chains. Bikes done 25K so there's bound to be signs of wear wouldn't you think? ... I'm just a bit paranoid.

Yamaha FJR1300
warby221

Post by warby221 »

None of the one's I’ve mentioned is terminal just bloody annoying
One thing though don’t assume just because the CCT are new there’s no problem with them
There stored fully wound and this can weaken the spring
Just to be on the safe side
If you take the small bolt out of the end of the CCT and use a small screwdriver in the end were the blot came out you can check the springs are returning under tension just don’t turn the screw more that an 8th of a turn
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Don't panic.
These things make more noise than a lot of bikes, and with no need to worry.
Why not ask a local to have a brief ride and listen to yours, you cna check out their bike and it should be pretty obvious whether you have a problem or not.

Volunteers needed round the local area......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

KneeWobblers wrote:Mine sounds like a Lancaster Bomber.....and is all well and happy......
:clap: Mine sounds like a Dam Buster too ..... the bomb bit though :lol: :lol:

Thank you for the comments and advice chaps, very much appreciated.

Good thing is the mech that will check her out used to look after a couple of SP2 race bikes .... hopefully, he'll know right off the bat if there's a problem. I was hoping that all or some of you would tell me that they're just noisy beasts most of the time .... and I think you did. Even if were a fatal fault I'd want it rebuilt because I really like this little machine.

Yamaha FJR1300
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

So it's all good according to the mechanic. Just a natural sounding Honda V twin. Right then, I'll not give those noises a second thought from now on. So onwards and upwards next on the list gotta get some new hoops ... it has BT014's on at the mo. Move on to 16's I guess ... or will I? I'm only commuting this puppy ... it'll never get ridden in anger. Road Smarts might be good.

Yamaha FJR1300
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Road Smarts are very good, I have them on at the moment.
They get a bit twitchy when worn flat in the middle, as mine are ATM, but I prefer them to the others I have tried- not for nothing did they get great reviews back-to-back with other brands.

So yes, a recommend from me.
Wear rates are good, too.

I'd have another pair on, but quite fancy seeing what the SportSmarts are like- only about ten or twenty quid in it.
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

Best laid plans ... went in to get some new SportSmarts came out with BT021's £190 fitted :) Happy with that.

Yamaha FJR1300
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

The bike seems to have developed a vibration or the feeling that something is running out of true. I can't put my finger on it. Gotta get her back in the shop for a service ... I need to find out how much life this little puppy has in her. I wish I was closer to tony.mon I'd value his opinion.

Yamaha FJR1300
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Done a carb balance? That sorts out a few odd noises quite often....
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

check the chain first. get it on the stand and run it round for tight spots.
check its not too slack, tight or wheel alignment out.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
SWAGGER

Post by SWAGGER »

Thank you chaps. Good advice as ever. It does need a carb balance ... wee bit off. The chain has a couple of thousand miles on it since I fitted it so it's likely to need a quick tweak. I was also thinking dodgy batch of fuel or perhaps a plug breaking down. I'll give it to my tame mechanics to give the once over ... I know that I should do it but they'll can deal with it so much quicker than I can and it's cold in the garage :wink:

Yamaha FJR1300