R/R and thermal compounds

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
rumpleforeskin

R/R and thermal compounds

Post by rumpleforeskin »

Going to change my R/R soon as i can get a finned one to replace my (known to unreliable) stock R/R

My previous bike (gsxr1100) was also quite keen on trashing its R/R due to excess heat, but i managed to to greatly extend its life by thermaly bonding the R/R to the rear subframe frame using 1mm thick thermal pads. These are made of a waxy substance that is highly conductive, when heated it will melt a little and form a perfect bond between the two mating surfaces. The bond is not so strong as to give you any trouble removing the R/R in the future.

Now you can utilise the subframe as a giant heatsink.

You can usually find these thermal pads on PC modding websites, they are used to improve the contact between the CPU and heatsink, and are pretty cheap.
benny hedges

Re: R/R and thermal compounds

Post by benny hedges »

rumpleforeskin wrote:
Now you can utilise the subframe as a giant heatsink.

You can usually find these thermal pads on PC modding websites, they are used to improve the contact between the CPU and heatsink, and are pretty cheap.
thinking about it, if you go in maplins, they sell large ally and copper heatsinks for various components - bet you could get one to fit the std r/r...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

A couple of small ventilation holes underneath the rear plastic surround wouldn't go amiss, either.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

Personally, I would be tempted to fit a small 12v computer fan to the reg/rec.

If you have a finned one, a fan cable tied would be enough.

if you have the flat, non finned type then a cheap old cpu cooler and fan would be a good idea...

use some CPU thermal paste and cable tie it around the reg/reg...

Ceramic thermal paste would probably be best...