CCT question, sorry.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mantis74

CCT question, sorry.

Post by Mantis74 »

I spoke to a bloke in a bike shop about the cam chain adjusters, he reckons I shouldn't bother replacing them until they are on their way out, I have some questions just to put my mind at ease.

1, What kind of noise does the engine make when they are on their way out?.
2, Is it very loud, would you be able to say " yep they need replacing ".
3, Is there a mileage that the bike turns and your playing with fire if you dont replace them.
4, Do you need to replace the cam chains as well?.

The reason I ask is the VTR is a V twin and V twins make all sorts of noises anyway, so I want to know what I am looking for?. The bloke in the shop said that I should only replace them when needed and I'll know when the do and that its a problem across the Honda range notably the CBR600 range, he also said it took Honda 3 tries on the Firestorm to correct the problem and you can now buy Tensioners that will do the job properly.

Any help and advice appreciated.
tony.mon

Re: CCT question, sorry.

Post by tony.mon »

Hi, Mantis. CCT's are a known weak point on Storms.

There's loads of advice about CCT's on this site, and several different opinions about how to fix CCT's.

You're right, the latest ones seem to be reliable, but too many of us have been burnt by the old ones letting to go to fully trust in them, so lot's of people choose to replace or modify. Also you don't know when you order how old the stock is that you'll get.

Replacement is with a manual set- there's a post on here in Workshop about a bloke who'll make them up (like the APE ones form USA) for £25 each.

Otherwise, fit a small slug in them so that the plunger can't retract fully, or see other ideas in the workshop section.

You have to make sure that the timing's in the right place, or you stand a good chance of bending valves- again see the workshop section.

If you want to tackle this yourself I'm only over near Brands in Kent, and have some time on my hands between jobs at present so could help out if you want.

I can also offer an opinion as to whether they need doing urgently, having heard mine often enough :D

Best advice is to read the posts.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Dont listen to your "bloke in the shop". 4 cyls can run with a broken cct but a v twin cant.

1. A very loud clattering noise. Just hope you never hear it.
2. If you do hear it you'll be saying,"sh1t, that's gonna cost me"
3. Nope. Some never break, some break just when they feel like it.
4. Not unless it's got mega high mileage.

Not trying to sound like we're putting you off but read back through the workshop section. It's full of cct questions.
Rich.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I'd been riding around for months after being told about the cct's problem ,found myself listening to every bloody knock/rattle..in the end i bought a pair of a.p.e .tensioners, fitted them myself using the advice from sirch 345 and pete l on this forum "for which i am eternally grateful "my advice is change them ...Hope this helps.

cheers ChrisC
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

ChrisC wrote:I'd been riding around for months after being told about the cct's problem ,found myself listening to every bloody knock/rattle..in the end i bought a pair of a.p.e .tensioners, fitted them myself using the advice from sirch 345 and pete l on this forum "for which i am eternally grateful "my advice is change them ...Hope this helps.

cheers ChrisC
I second that!!!!! done exactly the same mod and those worries are a distant memory!!!!! 8)

Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
Mantis74

Post by Mantis74 »

I'm proberly going to replace them next month, just need to know the best way to go about it, I.E manual tensioners or replacement Honda ones that are SUPPOSED to be sort.
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

The only complete piece of mind solution is to go manual or modded OE, I personally wouldnt replace one suspect part with another.(i.e off the shelf originals)

Jim.

bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I modded mine with the stoppers , but if your fitting standard Honda tensioners, probably the best bet is treat them as a service item and renew every 2 years or so ,depending on the miles you do :!:

£80 for two new cct's delivered from David Silver's isnt too bad every couple of years, and if your only doing , say 3-4k miles a year , i'd think the new standard Honda cct's should be safe enough :) Just my opinion of course :)
Stevie
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

Dave Greenwood springs no more worries
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Frontslide wrote:Dave Greenwood springs no more worries

Really? I didnt feel they were of any better quality (just my opinion). I did use them on my rebuild but was never 100% satisfied . On selling to Dave I advised he change to manual or mod them as soon as was practicable.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

I guess its all down to your choice, my bike had been standing for 6 years, it had the pink spot tensioners and when it started again they were fine but i still modded them with the stop, went for a 2 mile ride and the front one broke, now they are modded to manual's which i know will not break or back out to cause damage, they will just need adjustment.
Ride Safe
Phil
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I spoke to a bloke in a bike shop about the cam chain adjusters, he reckons I shouldn't bother replacing them until they are on their way out,
Well, he's a tit then. Mine went after 35,000 miles on the way back from Wales. No warning, no rattles before.

Fit manual ones and enjoy peace of mind (and, IMHO, slightly better performance!)
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Seconded. I've had two sets go, one was only 18 months old.
Bent valves both times, exhaust, front cylinder, no warning noise, just went.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fritz

Post by fritz »

i did two in 12months!!

might have been due to all the track days!!

you will notice that the front pot is on the top and the rear is underneath!!

the one on the front will go because oil cannot defy gravity and run up hill!

any one who has suffed this problem and stripped the tensioner will tell you... the spring breaks right at the top and is usualy devoid of any oil!! and being a dynamic type tensioner it needs oil!!!!

im going to make an extension for the top of mine where the blank plug fits to stop the tensioning rod from backing out!!!

i am not going through that ordeal ever again of listening to my engine eat it self and being powerless to stop it!!! cos if your going some and it goes!! your fecked!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

the beauty of the APE !!!!!

Tensioner !!!

Jim.