Sheared Bolt

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Ah haaa........ I actually got one of those, my brother in law dropped it over to me, and said it would do the job. Must get a replacement bolt now, before I go destroying this one !!

Thanks.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

EZ-Out, stud remover, vice grips - all the devil's tools. Without intending to sound patronising, these things do work well when used as intended, with care, and preferrably experience.

I have experience with EZ-Outs. I've ruined two bolts and paid to watch an experienced mechanic gently tap the headless bolt around and out with a punch & small hammer after a little bit of light blow-torch heat.

Some people's brains work the way mechanical work requires, some don't. I have no shame in saying I've stripped threads, rung hex-heads, snapped bolt-heads and broken an EZ-Out.

But I'm proud to say I've only done it once (each... ahem). And I don't do it any more - not cos I'm good, but because I get a mechanic to do the things I know I might f**k up.

If you think you can drill, dead centre, the remains of the bolt to use a GOOD QUALITY EZ-Out (like the one at http://www.draper.co.uk/, for example - go to hand tools, shop online, browsers/guest, browse, hand tools, engineers, threading, extractors - go for the Schroder ones), slowly work the bolt out.

If you have cross-threaded the bolt, like the guys say, you could re-tap it or helicoil it, but quality tools like these are expensive, and they can be hard to use/easy to f**k up - I say give it to a mechanic if that's the case - no shame.

It'd be nice if you could do all this stuff yourself, but so what if you can't?

Jeez, do I ever shut up?
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
EggShellBlond

Post by EggShellBlond »

A man after my own heart :wink:
If a job's worth doing..........It's worth paying someone to do it properly
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

has anybody noticed stevieVTR has not posted anything for a while, are you there, did you fix it, did you give up, hope your ok.

Del.
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

Cheers Del, I`m still here. Sheared bolt is still here too!! No time at the mo to attempt to fix though I`ll probably drill out what I can fairly soon. Local garage reckoned £50 to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyhow, the exhaust can is still on and not coming loose so its not so urgent.
.... no more bike, divorce sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I'll ave a go if you want, should be less than £50 snots too

Del.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Hmm £49.99 eh???? (not helping am i.......)