Optimate says the FireStorm's battery is weak so............

General Bike chat
LotusSevenMan

Optimate says the FireStorm's battery is weak so............

Post by LotusSevenMan »

.............how can I find another Optimate that doesn't lie? :lol:
Actually, where's the best place for a new 'Storm battery? Anyone got some suggested purveyors of suitable batteries etc?
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I got mine from David Silver - £35 plus VAT and delivery
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Sharpe1

Post by Sharpe1 »

I don't know if they're available over there, but the best battery is a Deka. It's a sealed unit , so no maintenance, lasts for ages and matches a V8 car battery for Cold Cranking Amps. They're usually a little more expensive than you're basic battery, but well worth it imo.
Larry.

'99 YELLOW
A man goes to the Zoo, but when he arrives there's only a dog.

It was a Shitzu!
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

pretty sure halfords will do one too....YUSA if i remember correctly( which i think is OEM product ) VeetyR
Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Chris (LSM) buy a new Optimate :!: :lol:

As for a new battery, I personally wouldn't bother with an after market one, especially if you intend to keep the bike. I did buy an after market battery as that was all my local bike shop had in stock, but it only lasted for 17mths although they did replace it foc :!: Perhaps others have been luckier than me, but I will be replacing my replacement with an OE (original equipment) Yuasa next year. I think they speak for themselves especially when you hear from our members how long some of them have lasted. My Yuasa lasted almost 7yrs.

MandP have Yuasa batteries at a very good price at the moment, (note acid is sold separate) see link :!:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=507523

Chris.
goffy

Post by goffy »

Don't go spending anymoney till you have given the Optimate battery plug and socket connectors a good looking at!

They are not all that good and the female pins (which are in the male connector) have a habit of spreading :lol:

My Optimate showed "weak battery" last weekend (batt 4wks old), a quick fiddle with the pins cured it, time taken 5mins, cash spent zilcho.

Even if the connectors need replacement, your local friendly Radio Control Car shop will flog you a new set for a few pounds, either take the old in or ask for "Tamiya" ones.

If you know anyone who seriously races RC, they will probaby have loads kicking around, not much cop at handling 70+ amps, tend to melt!!! Usually the 1st things that get junked on the path to RC victory.
Fine for 0.5A Optimate tho.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Thanks guys. Yeah Goffy I have loads of these connectors as used to race a fair bit etc. First thing I did was 'clean' the pins and squash the socket receptacle a bit. No change. This battery is ten years old so ??????
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
goffy

Post by goffy »

10 year old battery, pretty much time for a new one then.

My '97VTR is on it's third batt, my 2000 Falco on it's second, big Vs need strong batteries.

I might even change my Optimate connectors for Powerpoles sometime, usually manage to find better things to do tho, servicing, riding etc, you know what I mean :)