Bloody Forecourts

General Biker Banter
Kermit

Bloody Forecourts

Post by Kermit »

Ok, I get the removing your helmet issue at the petrol station as you could go in unidentified & empty the tills.
But today, my brother and I pulled up to refuel, helmets off, just standing astride our bikes with pump in hand ready to refuel. A voice comes over the tannoy "You'll have to get off your bikes to refuel!" Why ? Why ? Why ? If I was a thieving scrote I'd have brought something with a big enough tank to make it worth my while. Why don't these muppets stay at McDonalds !

I was rather p*ssed off to say the least so put a grand total of 2 Litres of Fuel in, then went to pay & asked for cigarrettes, Just so the idiotic assistant had to get up off her chair. I kept messing her around "not those love, down a bit." "Not them ones over a bit" "Up a bit" The green ones" No not those the other green ones " etc etc & then informed her I'd changed my mind altogether.

Still P*ssed off now about it, so just sent the following to Esso customer support:

I visited an Esso service station today with my brother. We were both intending to refuel our motorcycles.

We both removed our helmets & picked up the pumps. It was then announced over the tannoy that we had to get off our motorcycles before they would switch on the pumps. This is absolutely ridiculous. I can only assume it was intended as a "theft prevention measure" but remounting a motorcycle takes a matter of seconds so I can't see what exactly is being achieved.
The reason we stayed upon our motorcycles was that we were intending to fully refuel at the service station & to do this the motorcycle needs to be level in order to totally fill the tank. This cannot be achieved when the motorcycle is leant on a stand.

As a result of this farcicle request we each only added enough fuel to take us to the next (non esso) service station. So instead of a sale of approx 30 litres of fuel combined, Esso actually only made a sale of 4 Litres combined. Plus the loss of future sales as I certainly do not intend visiting an esso station again as I would only be allowed to partly refuel.

Could you please tell me if this is standard protocol at Esso stations & if so for what reason ? Our number plates were clearly displayed & we both removed our helmets & could therefore be identified. I have seen passengers refuelling cars with the driver still sat at the wheel. Are they asked to exit their vehicle ? Certainly not in my experience.

I realise that theft from the forecourt may well be a rising issue, but there's being careful & there's being downright over the top. If I really was there for the business of stealing fuel on a full forecourt in broad daylight, do you think that having to remount my motorcycle would really deter me from proceeding ? No. All it does is make it impossible to refuel completely.

What next ? Having to supply 2 forms of photo id, surrendering your vehicles keys & paying a large cash deposit before refueling ? Please try & distribute some common sense to yur forecourts across the country & who knows, after a few years I may well go back to Esso for Fuel !

Max

Post by Max »

Perhaps she just didn't trust a frog on a bike 8O
Max

Kermit

Post by Kermit »

She should've. She bore a remarkable resemblance to a certain Miss Piggy !
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Had the same thing at Sainsbury's petrol station in Romford the other week.

I ended up making the duty manager hold the bike up right so I could get a full tank of fuel.

They said it was Health and Safety.

I pursued this for over 2 weeks and found out they can only advise you to get off your bike they can't demand it.

CHALLENGE THE MANAGEMENT is all I can say. Make a big fuss and cause a scene, You can get somewhere in the end.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Damn right guys, Bloody annoying!

I've not had that one, yet!

When I do I'll be putting the minimum delivery in, 1 Litre I think, or less if I can get away with it (10p?) - Unless it's the only petrol station for miles of course!

I like the getting the duty manager to hold the bike thing, except I wouldn't trust 80% of the Muppets (excuse the pun Kermy dear) they employ, to hold my bike! I'd be more inclined to hold the bike while they filled her up!

Bugger to taking my lid off before I filler her up as well! Do they make car drivers lower the roof or get out of the car, smile and say 'cheese' before they'll switch the pump on? NO! (When someone other than the driver fills the car of course - often I do the deed, when the wife is driving).

It's bad enough that Tesco's have a 'remove helmet when entering or before entering shop' policy (not strictly enforced I hasten to add - not in my area anyway, some do some don't).

For those that do, I go to great pains to drag the whole thing out.
I do not remove my helmet, or gloves until I am AT the till:
1) Put keys on counter (with Tesco Club Card fob prominent!)
2) Remove gloves, placing them on counter.
3) Lift visor if not already raised.
4) Remove glasses (I wear 'em) - placing them safely on counter.
5) Unfasten and remove helmet - placing safely on counter, pushing anthing not belonging to me towards the cashier so that helmet is nice and safe.
6) Replace glasses.
7) Unzip pocket or jacket then inside pocket to get to wallet.
8] Retrieve cash or debit card to pay for fuel.
9) Offer the cashier my Tesco Club Card key fob for my 'valuable' points.
10) If not automatically given, (usually when paying by cash) request a receipt.
11) VERY Important - Thank the cashier and SMILE.
12) Replace wallet and fasten jacket / pocket
13) Remove glasses, placing them safely on the counter.
14) Replace Helmet and re-fasten it securely.
15) Replace glasses and adjust on nose bridge so they're comfy again.
16) Drop the visor.
17) Replace gloves.
18] Pick up keys, turn to find a massive queue behind you (like you really care!)and walk out of the shop, back to the bike.
19) Put keys in ignition and turn it on.
20) Zero the Odometer / Tripmeter
21) Ride off with a very large grin under your helmet!

Sometimes also have my ear plugs in which of course have to be removed before payment then refitted after. They'd be 5a or 6a and 12a or 13a

If I know beforehand that I'm going to be filling up at a petrol station that has this ludicrous policy then I exercise one more little delaying (More annoying) tactic before I set off.
I make sure I put on my 'inner' helmet - you know those nice thin balaclava affairs.

I remove my helmet etc, but make sure that my 'Bikers Burkha' is re-adjusted so that only my eyes and the bridge of my nose is showing, before paying for the petrol!
Menacing, I agree, but I have complied with Tescos' policy of removing my helmet and have not been challenged yet! (let 'em try! :evil: ). Occaisionally when given odd looks by the cashier, I've even referred to it as my 'Bikers Burkha' and received a smile back in response!

Strangely enough, it's rare for the same cashier to get bitten twice! Often they'll see me enter and if I ask if they want me to remove my lid, they say "No" - Odd that, can't think why!

I also ensure they know, if necessary, that I understand it's not them, but their employers policy that's to blame.

Don't get me started on their other policy of security guards asking to take your helmet from you as you enter the supermarket with the intention of returning it when you've done your shopping! Apparently some of the twist'n'go generation like to use their lids to put items into and 'forget' to pay for them!
I've not been asked to surrender my helmet yet - they won't like the response they get when one of them tries it.

OK rant over for now, spleen well and truly vented!

Graeme.
Last edited by RedStormV on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

RedStormV wrote:Damn right guys, Bloody annoying!

I've not had that one, yet!

When I do I'll be putting the minimum delivery in, 1 Litre I think, or less if I can get away with it (10p?) - Unless it's the only petrol station for miles of course!

I like the getting the duty manager to hold the bike thing, except I wouldn't trust 80% of the Muppets (excuse the pun Kermy dear) they employ, to hold my bike! I'd be more inclined to hold the bike while they filled her up!

Bugger to taking my lid off before I filler her up as well! Do they make car drivers lower the roof or get out of the car, smile and say 'cheese' before they'll switch the pump on? NO! (When someone other than the driver fills the car of course - often I do the deed, when the wife is driving).

It's bad enough that Tesco's have a 'remove helmet when entering or before entering shop' policy (not strictly enforced I hasten to add - not in my area anyway, some do some don't).

For those that do, I go to great pains to drag the whole thing out.
I do not remove my helmet, or gloves until I am AT the till:
1) Put keys on counter (with Tesco Club Card fob prominent!)
2) Remove gloves, placing them on counter.
3) Lift visor if not already raised.
4) Remove glasses (I wear 'em) - placing them safely on counter.
5) Unfasten and remove helmet - placing safely on counter, pushing anything not belonging to me towards the cashier so that helmet is nice and safe.
6) Replace glasses.
7) Unzip pocket or jacket then inside pocket to get to wallet.
8] Retrieve cash or debit card to pay for fuel.
9) Offer the cashier my Tesco Club Card key fob for my 'valuable' points.
10) If not automatically given, (usually when paying by cash) request a receipt.
11) VERY Important - Thank the cashier and SMILE.
12) Replace wallet and fasten jacket / pocket
13) Remove glasses, placing them safely on the counter.
14) Replace Helmet and re-fasten it securely.
15) Replace glasses and adjust on nose bridge so they're comfy again.
16) Drop the visor.
17) Replace gloves.
18] Pick up keys, turn to find a massive queue behind you (like you really care!)and walk out of the shop, back to the bike.
19) Put keys in ignition and turn it on.
20) Zero the Odometer / Trip meter
21) Ride off with a very large grin under your helmet!

Sometimes also have my ear plugs in which of course have to be removed before payment then refitted after. They'd be 5a or 6a and 12a or 13a

If I know beforehand that I'm going to be filling up at a petrol station that has this ludicrous policy then I exercise one more little delaying (More annoying) tactic before I set off.
I make sure I put on my 'inner' helmet - you know those nice thin balaclava affairs.

I remove my helmet etc, but make sure that my 'Bikers Burkha' is re-adjusted so that only my eyes and the bridge of my nose is showing, before paying for the petrol!
Menacing, I agree, but I have complied with Tescos' policy of removing my helmet and have not been challenged yet! (let 'em try! :evil: ). Occaisionally when given odd looks by the cashier, I've even referred to it as my 'Bikers Burkha' and received a smile back in response!

Strangely enough, it's rare for the same cashier to get bitten twice! Often they'll see me enter and if I ask if they want me to remove my lid, they say "No" - Odd that, can't think why!

I also ensure if necessary that I understand it's not them, but their employers policy that's to blame.

Don't get me started on their other policy of security guards asking to take your helmet from you as you enter the supermarket with the intention of returning it when you've done your shopping! Apparently some of the twist'n'go generation like to use their lids to put items into and 'forget' to pay for them!
I've not been asked to surrender my helmet yet - they won't like the response they get when one of them tries it.

OK rant over for now, spleen well and truly vented!

Graeme.
With regards to the manager holding the bike. This was after causing a scene over not being able to get a full tank of fuel. I had him and his assistant holding a bar each. I asked each of them to hold the bike. I then let go and grabbed the nozzle quickly, whilst threatening them "don't drop it because if you cause any damage it will be expensive and you will have to pay for it"
I then stated "I'm not sitting on the bike you can turn the pump on so I can fill up." I refused to touch the bike until it was full.
I then put the bike on the side stand before shutting the filler cap so as to make sure I spieled fuel over their forecourt.
I then stated " You had better close the fulling station because you have got a fuel spill and under H&S that is what you are meant to do until you have cleared it up."
I also asked what they thought was safer, me sitting on the bike or a bike on it's side stand and causing a fuel spill?

As for taking off my helmet. After 7 years of getting my MCN at Tesco on a Wednesday on my way to work, MCN in one hand and wallet in the other, I was told NOT asked to take my helmet off because they could not see my face and I was intimidating. (non English security guard)
I said I will as soon as he tells the Muslim who followed me into the store to take her Burkha off so you could see her face.
Strange how he didn't have the bottle and refused to ask the manager to do so.
I then said that I am required by law to wear a safety helmet she chooses to wear a Burkha.
They don't like it when you cause a scene and it is they that started it!!!
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

I've had the "I'll look after your helmet - you cant take it in store with you" scene too.

I politely told him "Sure, I'll have £300 and I'll give it you back when I retrieve my helemt from you."

He gets a bit arsey, so I'm having a good old argue with him. The best bit is when he spots 2 coppers enter the store. He beckons them over and is intent on giving them the best terrorist nazi kitten worrier tale about me he can.

I know all the coppers as I work with them, so first thing they say is "Hi Kitch, alright, out on the bike?" and are dead friendly...

Security muppet slopes off.

Victory was mine.

And for Timbo, I'd rather have smouldering tobacco than a 13 stone homo come flying out of a truck window on the motorway.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Whilst I agree these things are annoying, I would NEVER fill up astride the bike for safety reasons alone, but, if you fill most tank to the brim you may well create a vacuum a way down the road and come to a spluttering stop!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Sorry Stratman
Whilst i can appreciate you not sitting on the bike when refueling this bit
if you fill most tank to the brim you may well create a vacuum a way down the road and come to a spluttering stop!
Is a myth.
your filler cap is fitted with a vent hole so that doesn't happen. Of course if the vent gets blocked then you might get a vacuum lock but that would happen if you filled it to the brim or not.

Pete.l
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

I'm with Pete on the vacuum thing.

I always fille to the brim, unless I'm near home and heading home - just in case I lose any of the precious bang juice via the overflow/breather when parked in garage. I've never yet had a problem with coughs and splutters. Suppose I may still lose a bit whilst riding though.
Anyways, I fill to the brim or near cos let's face it, unless you spent a small fortune getting the larger tank conversion or have it on a newer Storm?, you need all the juice you can cram in there - LOL

What 'Safety' reasons Stratman?

I feel far safer holding the bike between my legs while I fill the tank, apart from anything else I can see exactly where the fuel is up to and when to slow down the flow.

I suppose those bikers of slightly smaller stature (short legs) might find it difficult. Especially those who can only get one foot flat on the floor. For that, I would agree that it is probably safer for the bike to be on its stand before re-fuelling.

One could also argue (not that I am, just making an observation) that if it's not safe for these people to re-fuel their bike astride it, then it's probably unsafe for them to ride it? Or at least when stopped at a red light or stuck in standing traffic etc, they should also dismount and put the bike on its side stand - 'For safety reasons'.
VTR1000KAZ wrote:isn't this practice illegal??
i'm sure i heard somewhere that to actually sit upon ur bike whist re fuelling is illegal??? :?
Kaz, not sure - Suppose someone will be able to confirm - Kitch via his 'special' friends probably...

I've never been told it is and never been challenged in over 20 years and don't know of anyone who has - excepting Kermit.

I always put my side stand down before starting to re-fuel, not particularly in case I lose my footing mid pump (OOEerrr Missus), more for in case I forget when I've done and just step off the bike to go pay - thereby saving any embarrassment to yours truly :oops:

If me and wor lass are out together on the bikes, then we usually re-fuel together, pulling up next to each other and using the same pump. She's normally on my outside, I pass her the nozzle, she re-fuels, then I re-fuel after, thereby saving time, having to pay separately and using two pumps.
Never been challended for that either yet.

(Maybe I'm just one of those bikers that gives everyone else a bad name......... For Alan :lol: )

Graeme
Sharpe1

Post by Sharpe1 »

We get exactly the same sh1t over here. The sitting on your bike thing is supposed to be for your safety, so you don't ignite your testicles. Anyone heard of that ever happening??? As far as worrying about stealing from the register, if I was going to, I woud tell them to get stuffed and pull a knife or gun, not walk in with my wallet in my hand!!
Larry.

'99 YELLOW
A man goes to the Zoo, but when he arrives there's only a dog.

It was a Shitzu!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Anyone heard of that ever happening???
Just the once would do thanks. Personally, I don't know anyone who has been shot, but I know it happens!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

the local tesco's near to me have the pay at pump button or pay at kiosk so i choose to pay with credit card and the ex macdonald staff member has no control over the pump as it starts to pump as soon as you card is poked out of the slot so i can keep my lid on whilst pumping fuel and sit on it to make sure its got a full tank and that really pisses some of em off cos they cant stop me ha ha ha vengance is mine! :D
wheres the road kill............?
iam hungry!!!!!
dunk4230

Post by dunk4230 »

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago ,drew up to the pump going to use my card pump, didnt work so had to go inside,so put fuel in goes inside and was asked to remove my lid, i said why, he said security (he had my card by now)i said if i was going to nick fuel do you think i`d come into the shop, again he said for security reasons so i said do you ask muslim women to take off there Burckas he didnt answer, paid my bill and left with my lid on but took extra long to put my gloves back on at pump
Ill Sleep When I Die
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Filled up twice today. Once Texaco, once Shell. Helmet on over tank etc. No hassle so far in the S. East!!!

LSM

With genuine mileage etc (due to a speedo healer) it is doing an average of 37 mpg.
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!