motor kits

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mike

motor kits

Post by mike »

Does anyone know of a company that makes a motor kit,(such as pistons,cams,etc). What kinda of horsepower gain I would be looking at if I did this? I am probably goin to do this when the season is over once I get the dough. Also, why do most jet kits only offer one kit for our bikes? Any help would be appreciated. I currently ordered the two bros full system, just waiting for it to get to the dealer.
Rainslicks

Post by Rainslicks »

JE has pistons and Moriwaki has cams ,valve springs and more .

I think about 135 reliable rhp can be made . Just checking into this myself and will post more parts availability as I find them .

Hoping someone else will add to this topic :D

BTW , Hello from the new guy :)
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

You need to speak to Roger @ Revolution.
Moriwaki do lots of trick bits for storms.
Roger Offers 3 stages of tune with Moriwaki parts.
Stage 1, new cams, head work and carb mods plus full system, around £4.5k. Give you 120bhp @ back end with increased mid range.
Stage 2 more exotic, aimed at track day/fast road.
Stage 3 only to those with deeeeep wallets.

Robb
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

First off, you live in the USA, right, bummer cos I would be happy to do it and would probably cost ya £200 to £300 plus all the bits.

Cams: There's moriwaki Stage 1 (better mid range with a little up top) or stage 2, these give masses up top but have to be used with big valve heads, stronger springs etc. A good porting and gas flow would be a must too, don't both with stage 2 if the heads are not going to be ported. Never done stage one with standard heads but it should still give a noticable increase. There's also VTwo cams, a company called HPower (think they are in the USA) who do cams and I think pistons, Yoshimura also do cams, I think they are Stage 1.

Pistons: Once again moriwaki raise compression from 9.4:1 (I think that's the standard figure) to 11.6:1, bring the VTR inline with TL1000, 916 etc. There's also JE, never fitted a aet of JE's.

I Think cams and pistons are about £600 to £700 each pair, so that's £1400 parts without porting etc.

Carbs Kits: Dynojet, same old same old, or there's Factory Kits (got one of these in mine and works a treat. or there's a set of moriwaki cards about £1000. With both Dynojet and Factory you will probably be best restricting or blanking off the pilot air jet and running an open air box, i.e. lob of the top of the air box lid just leaving a ring to hold the filter in place.

If your going to do the work yourself then why not call roger and send him your heads and cases, heads for porting and cases for venting. You can then fit the pistons and cams.

Del.
mike

Post by mike »

Thanx guys for all info.I will definitely check into it once the wifey trusts me with the credit cards again :twisted: .After I ordered my two bros full exhuast she kinda removed my privelages for awhile.It is all good though because next riding season I am coming out fast.
kingster

Post by kingster »

Del

Reading the various posts around this site, you seem to be very wise in the way of 'storm tunin'. So a bit of advice/general question malarky...

Back in the mid eighties I had a 'saki 650 that was tuned to f*ck a la moriwaki - pistons, stage 3 cams, flowed head, o/s valves, springs, special shims, smoothbores and 'blueprinted' rebuild (which I think is the correct term for replacing every goddam worn bit with shiny new stuff that has been hand chosen and 'miked' by someone really picky - me)

God I loved that bike. Looked nowt too special, but boy did it go (above 7k revs only)

Anyhooo, I notice that Moriwaki appear to do similar goodies for the 'storm. This has got me thinking, and has got me interested, call it a mid-life crisis, but I am thinking of doing something kinda special again.

You mentioned heads and cases need sorting, so am I correct in assuming that we are talking complete stripdown of engine here? Or can a decent top-end job be done without resorting to cases coming apart?

If you up the power significantly, can the con-rods (etc) take it?

Is it necessary to get some exotic carbs like the Moriwaki ones mentioned in one of the posts, or is there a less financially painful (but equally satisfying) alternative.

As for the porting/flowing, who do you recommend?

Finally, what sort of down-time we talking about and what sort of HP would you guess this might achieve (with a decent full system attached)?

Cheers

CK
W@zzA

tuning

Post by W@zzA »

There was an article in Superbike a few years ago about a fuel injection kit using Ducati throtle bodies being developed by Rhino Dyno :!:
Anyone know if they got anywhere with it :?:

Warren
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Roger @ Revolution is your man for porting/gasflowing, I actually spoke to him this evening about how far to take my VTR before it needs a strip down ever week the best thing to do to keep the normal service intervals, is pistons, cams, porting, crank case mods and that'll see ya 120 odd rwhp, but also the delivery is more important. Also get the crank etc dynamically balanced. As for down time, the engine can be stripped and put back together in a couple of days but it's the porting that's gonna take time then just waiting for shells, shims etc from honda and say two weeks ontop if you get it all balanced. I never balanced mine when I built it but later the next year I built a lump for use to work and back and got it dynamically balanced to 0.02oz and it's a different motor. So mine is getting balanced this winter plus a few other mods/tweeks.

Del.