How to remove and refit CCT's on the Firestorm

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
markycee

Re: How to remove and refit CCT's on the Firestorm

Post by markycee »

Hi

Going to attempt to fit 2 new Honda CCT's based on your guide.

I haven't got a haynes manual. So a couple of questions.

1, Any instructions I can find on how to make the "locking key" for CCT?

2, Where will I find the RT and FT marks?

3, Rotation Direction? Is clockwise if you are looking from Right side of bike (or left)?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

markycee wrote:Hi

Going to attempt to fit 2 new Honda CCT's based on your guide.

I haven't got a haynes manual. So a couple of questions.

1, Any instructions I can find on how to make the "locking key" for CCT?

2, Where will I find the RT and FT marks?

3, Rotation Direction? Is clockwise if you are looking from Right side of bike (or left)?

why do you want to fit honda tensioners???? they will fail.
have a look at the stopper mod, so WHEN they fail, they cant retract fully and wreck your engine.

look in the pdf manual in the workshop section for a diagram of the tool, but a small terminal screwy will do the job.

you need to remove the large and small plugs in the timing cover (left) with a 6mm & 10mm allen key.
the big one may be stuck solid & you'll need to drift it out with a punch.
the rt & ft marks are on the flywheel an line up with a mark, visible when you remove the smaller casing plug.

you rotate the engine (with the spark plugs removed) anticlockwise, by turning the flywheel with a 17mm socket.
put a roll of card around the socket to protect the threads in the casing as they are very soft.

you need to digest & understand the instructions in the guide ... get it wrong and the bike wont run properly.
there are no shortcuts! dont follow the haynes manual, it's very misleading.

strongly recommend you use the stopper mod (or manual tensioners)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
markycee

Post by markycee »

Thanks for you help and advice. I figure that brand new CCt's must be good for the next couple of years. Surely Honda have improved them since the original design. Those development guys dont normal miss a trick.

I can't find the stopper mod anywhere on the forums. lots of people talking about it, but I cant find the original post that includes "how to do it". I have already ordered the new CCt's from David Silver and the chap there said they knew of no recent problems with them. Is it worth me modding the new ones once I receive them. It slightly goes against the grain for me, but I'm not stupid enough to ignore all the advice. How do i find the stopper mod instructions?

As for the small terminal screwdriver. How do I lock it? Why do I need to do anything when removing the old CCT, surely I could just remove the bolts evenly and that will suffice?? Or am I missing something there?

Tks again. Mark
alec

Post by alec »

markycee wrote:Thanks for you help and advice. I figure that brand new CCt's must be good for the next couple of years. Surely Honda have improved them since the original design. Those development guys dont normal miss a trick.

I can't find the stopper mod anywhere on the forums. lots of people talking about it, but I cant find the original post that includes "how to do it". I have already ordered the new CCt's from David Silver and the chap there said they knew of no recent problems with them. Is it worth me modding the new ones once I receive them. It slightly goes against the grain for me, but I'm not stupid enough to ignore all the advice. How do i find the stopper mod instructions?

As for the small terminal screwdriver. How do I lock it? Why do I need to do anything when removing the old CCT, surely I could just remove the bolts evenly and that will suffice?? Or am I missing something there?

Tks again. Mark
have a look here and seriously follow benny's advice mate he's one of the guys who knows there stuff
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... od#p157527
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

basically all the stopper mod is, is undo the pin at the bottom of the tensioner where the leg pops out, unwind it all the way out, measure the gap needed & pop a stopper inside (a 10mm piece of bolt will do fine) then put it all back together again.
if (when) the tensioner fails, it cant retract all the way back & the chain wont jump the gear.
you'll know it's gone like but it wont wreck the engine.

read chris's guide to the stopper mod here - http://www.mediafire.com/?esahj6bxfbmamjf

you dont need the locking tool imo - a small screwdriver will do the job.

for fitting, just follow the guide to the letter, apart from imo it's best to remove both cam covers so you are 100% sure the cams are in the right position and there is a gap under the rockers BEFORE you unbolt the old tensioner.
once youve done that you can just unbolt it and fit the new one, then do the same on the other cylinder.
assuming you start on the front cyl with the ft mark in the timing window.... dont ffs just turn it to the next rt mark.... it doesnt work like that lol.
the guide explains.
removing the cover and feeling the gap under the rockers, and checking the position of the cams, you cant go wrong.

please though.... you may think, bah no point doing all that stopper sh1t if im fitting new ones... they said they wont fail.
i guarantee you will be back before too long asking for help with bent inlet valves on the front pot :roll:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I thought new standard one would be ok, one failed after eighteen months, bent valves.
Don't do it, they're a timebomb.

If you want to get to my place in Sevenoaks tomorrow night starting at 18.00 I'm fitting a pair of manuals for one of the members, you can watch and learn if you want.
:thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
markycee

Post by markycee »

Hi Tony,

I managed to get a couple of CCT's with stopper mods from Bazza696. I should have them by tomorrow and will attempt to fit on Sunday. If you were closer I would jump at the chance to see how it's done. These things are always easier once you've seen it or done it before. Whilst I do the CCT's I may have a look for my misfire problem & strip down the carbs and give them a clean. Also, I noticed that I have a fair bit of crankcase pressure. Is that normal? is there a crankcase breather anywhere that I should check?? I have also bought an Ignition module, Ignitor and new coils. So all that lot's got to go on too. It's costing me a bl00dy fortune, but I can't rest until it runs sweet.

If you got any advice on that litlle lot, I'd gladly listen!

Tks

mark
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Mark,

just to make sure you are aware that these CCT's I am supplying are not stopper modded, they are standard Honda CCT's modded to manual tensioners.

wont make any difference to the way you fit them, other than making sure the lock nut is tight and you have made sure you have left a little slack in the cam chain, cause they are not self adjusting.
tinysmall

How to remove and refit CCT's on the Firestorm

Post by tinysmall »

Now there's a bonus for you. Manuals when you thought they were gonna be hondas cheese replacements :)
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
markycee

Post by markycee »

Tony, Bazza, and the chap who wrote the CCT instructions, thanks for all your great help & advice!!!. I just fired her up and she sounds spot on! The only thing I struggled with is how tight to go on the manual CCT's. I worked out roughly how much bolt should be left showing because I locked the old CCT's coming out, but to fit the new ones I put em in loose and tightened as much as I could get with my fingers. Spun the engine a couple of turns and re-aligned, rechecked finger tight and locked em off. Not sure if that's right, but I can't hear any rattle and no screeching either, just pure v-twin music! What a relief that is! You lot had me worried everytime I rode it on the old Honda ones. Anyway thanks again. Gotta put the rest of it back together now.

mark
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

mark, everything should be okay as long as like you say there is no sreaming, I checked mine again for adjustment when i did the valve clearences ready for my first dyno run tomorrow.

Just happy i have helped someone else out and not the misfortune of bent valves
andyfraser666

Post by andyfraser666 »

Don't know if it'll help but here's a pdf of the whole thread to date, I'm going to use it while I'm in the garage.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=d6d9e4f2 ... FF0%211262

I've had to post the link to my public skydrive account as couldn't work out how to attach a pdf sorry.
redrocket

Post by redrocket »

cheers for the info ive just fitted some cct,s from the states and the center cap on the alternater cover was rounded off, so i put me bike on a paddock stand an put the bike in gear a just turned the rear wheel to crank the engine over job sorted an thanks again for info
Rad_Draven

Post by Rad_Draven »

"REMEMBER TO TAKE THE METAL CAPS OFF THE OLD CCT PLUNGER HEADS AND FIT ONTO THE NEW ONES, AS THE NEW ONES ARE NOT SUPPLIED WITH THEM!!!!!!."

Hi, can somebody tell me if it is necessary with the kriegger tensioners? Thanks a lot.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

No the OEM caps come out and stay out. Manuals just push directly onto the guide.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts