Spit and Polish, Oh and grease!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Spit and Polish, Oh and grease!

Post by sirch345 »

I finally got around to stripping out the swinging-arm and linkages to grease all the bearings etc! while I was at it I decided to polish up the exhaust headers and the rear-set footrests, also clean off all the muck that had come off the chain that builds up over the years, and give the chain a good clean while it was off!
The reason I got around to all this was I bought a Maxton spring for the rear shock so I had to remove some of the parts to fit that!

Chris.
(1) headers polished.jpg
(2) headers re-fitted 2.jpg
(3) headers re-fitted.jpg
(4) headers front pipe.jpg
(5) rearsets polished.jpg
(6) shock + arm re- fitted.jpg
(7) nearing end of job.jpg
dookie

Post by dookie »

Love the look of the downpipes m8 how long did they take and what with?
There was a time i used to care
SterlingCG

Post by SterlingCG »

looks great... have you got any before photos?
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Nice one Chris

make a huge difference with th down pipes shiney :D
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
kevg

Post by kevg »

You fancy doing my downpipes now.
yours look great.
cheerz

kev
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

dookie wrote:Love the look of the downpipes m8 how long did they take and what with?
Cheers Dookie,
After trial and error I ended up purchasing a set of three polishing wheels (3 different grades of wheels 4" and 3 different grades of compound) that attach to an electric drill, all for £20 from a local tool shop, the hardest part is the two crooked bends as the 4" wheel is to big to reach all of the pipework, so I had to revert back to the wet and dry and autosol for those areas.
I didn't really take much notice of how long it took, at a guess I would say somewhere between 6 to 8 hours just for the actual polishing, obviously that will vary on how bad your pipes are.

The only downside after all that work is after a couple of rides the headers have already changed colour, to a goldie bronze colour, which at first I was quite annoyed about but now I actually quite like it, imo it looks quite expensive. People have said that the quality of the stainless steel is not that good and I would definitely agree with that :!: Anyway have a look at the pictures:-
headers-front-goldie-colour.jpg
headers-goldie-colour.jpg
SterlingCG wrote: looks great... have you got any before photos?
Cheers Sterling,
I fully meant to do that, but forgot to at the very beginning, but here's a couple part way through the process:-
My-headers-VTR.jpg
My-headers-VTR1000.jpg
My-headers-VTR-before-polis.jpg
iggy1966 wrote:Nice one Chris

make a huge difference with th down pipes shiney :D
Cheers Iggy.
kevg wrote:You fancy doing my downpipes now.
yours look great.
Cheers Kev.
I'll pass on your kind offer if you don't mind :lol:
Zer0Zer0

Post by Zer0Zer0 »

Excellent job chris old boy!... if you keep them sprayed with WD 40 ..that should keep em nice n shiny..i would hate to see all your hard work turn to rust :wink: . i was going to ask why you are doing this now given the weather.you should be out n about on it......but i see from your sig.. you got a bloody garage full o bikes [lucky git]...
I AM THE STRANGE MAN YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT......
Have a sweetie and stop crying........
[Werthers Original...they never get rid of the taste]
thumper

Post by thumper »

you have to much time on yer hands , but what a job , better than new i bets

how do you like the avons????
just because your breathing doesn't mean your alive
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Never mind the bike....get yir garden weeded :wink:
Rich.

alan

downpipes

Post by alan »

Well done Chris they look very nice i started doing mine but soon got fed up i think i will chrome plate mine much easier :lol:

Alan
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

great work there chris. :D
ImageImageImageImage
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Zer0Zer0 wrote:Excellent job chris old boy!... if you keep them sprayed with WD 40 ..that should keep em nice n shiny..i would hate to see all your hard work turn to rust :wink: . i was going to ask why you are doing this now given the weather.you should be out n about on it......but i see from your sig.. you got a bloody garage full o bikes [lucky git]...
Cheers Marty,
I thought the same thing, why strip your bike down this time of the year, but to be honest I wouldn't have done in the winter :!: in the cold, damp and wet. Not my sig Marty, I only have the one bike now.
thumper wrote:you have to much time on yer hands , but what a job , better than new i bets

how do you like the avons????
Cheers Graham,
Yea I know I need to get out more :lol:
As for the Azaro's they suit me fine :!: :D I like them :!:
cupasoop wrote:Never mind the bike....get yir garden weeded :wink:
I passed on the message to the gardener (my Mrs) apparently there is no weeds in that flowerbed, even the one in the wall is a plant :!: but that was not quite how she put it :wink: :lol:
alan wrote:Well done Chris they look very nice i started doing mine but soon got fed up i think i will chrome plate mine much easier :lol:

Alan
Cheers Alan,
That's taking the easy way out (perhaps not on your wallet :lol: ) but remember what happens to chrome, it turns blue :!: :lol:
tony.wilde1 wrote:great work there chris. :D
Cheers Tony :D
Stormin Ben

Re: downpipes

Post by Stormin Ben »

alan wrote:Well done Chris they look very nice i started doing mine but soon got fed up i think i will chrome plate mine much easier :lol:
Surely Titanium nitrided would be better
Then its gold to match the rest of the bling bits on your bike :lol:

Sirch,
Nice job. I know wot you mean about them changing colour though -I did mine last year (using wd40 and a scouring pad) Went back on shiney silver, and a few weeks later were a nice bronze colour to match the blade fork legs.
TBH I'll not be bothering to do them again, just wipe over with some wd40 every once in a while to keep them bronze, rather than rusty brown
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Looks fantastic Chris - I think a polishing kit for Christmas would be a good thing to wile away the long evenings - it looks realy good mate.
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Wow.... fantastic work there Chris!

Would be tempted to get myself a kit also. But the danger would be that I'd start polishing everything! Hmmm.... wonder would my cage look good in silver, or maybe those Storm wheels or my bicycle :-)