surging firestorm

General Bike chat
yamawreck

surging firestorm

Post by yamawreck »

morning all,

picked up my storm, very happy with it apart from when i am sat at a constant speed in the lower gears (1,2,3). It seems to surge slightly and then back off surge slightly and then back off.

the surge is about half a second on half a second off and carries on for as long as i am sat at a constant throttle.

the bike has had a full micron race system on it until the day before i bought it (previous seller put standard pipes on and moted it) it has also got a k &n filter.

i am planning to change the exhaust back to the microns later this week, my question to the masses is do you reckon that going back to the micron exhaust will resolve the surging issue? my own thoughts were that the fuelling is set up for the other pipes nad it is struggling a bit with standard cans on. what do you reckon?
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: surging firestorm

Post by sirch345 »

yamawreck wrote:morning all,

picked up my storm, very happy with it apart from when i am sat at a constant speed in the lower gears (1,2,3). It seems to surge slightly and then back off surge slightly and then back off.

the surge is about half a second on half a second off and carries on for as long as i am sat at a constant throttle.

the bike has had a full micron race system on it until the day before i bought it (previous seller put standard pipes on and moted it) it has also got a k &n filter.

i am planning to change the exhaust back to the microns later this week, my question to the masses is do you reckon that going back to the micron exhaust will resolve the surging issue? my own thoughts were that the fuelling is set up for the other pipes nad it is struggling a bit with standard cans on. what do you reckon?
I would say that more than likely as you thought, the bike has been set-up for the after market system and therefore once you re-fit a Micron full race system it should be fine. I would have thought someone going to all that expense would have had the bike re-jetted with a dyno-jet kit :!:

Chris.
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Just a thought but why not ring the guy you bought it from and ask if he re-jetted it or anything when he put the microns on? That would very quickly answer your question?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
thumper

Post by thumper »

i think yer chain is fooked bud :( there must be tight bits and slack bits ,

thats my guess ,mind let us know who wins the pie :wink:
just because your breathing doesn't mean your alive
nobby50

Post by nobby50 »

:wink: i would agree with thumper...and welcome to the site by the way.
It might be old, but it still kicks ass !
yamawreck

Post by yamawreck »

thats interesting, it will also be getting a new chain on thursday when i do the cans, the current one has stretched a bit, it can be pulled away from the rear sprocket slightly but it is well lubed, correctly adjustted and i couldnt find any siezed links or tight spots.

could it still be the chain?
eddvtr1000

Post by eddvtr1000 »

areet yamwreck, when the bike surges its not at about 4000- 4500 is it?
4 cyl = 2ltr , 2 cyl = 1ltr it's all relative.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Fueling :D
He He Hee I know what Eddies thinking :D

Shall me you and Chris share that pie....I think so :wink:

Pete.l
yamawreck

Post by yamawreck »

well, new chain and sprockets, two carbon micron race cans and it runs like a dream. bloody noisy too, but that is one of the reasons for loving a v-twin!!
thumper

Post by thumper »

hey hey send the pie this way i have had the same before with other bikes and it down to the chain at thew end of its life so becomes racked :lol:

now take note everyone and write it down in you books :P
just because your breathing doesn't mean your alive