great day out turned to sh1t

General Bike chat
Anonymous

great day out turned to sh1t

Post by Anonymous »

went out nice and early to get some miles under my belt b4 all the " colin mcgyver the sunday drivers" come out was doin well did 200 miles then had an eggy smell when i stopped in traffic..... thought it was the brakes as i had been larging it then 150miles laterit all goes pear shaped when the battery pops gel every where....... it seems that my reg/rec has gone up the swanie and boiled the battery... strange thing is that even thou its pumping out 19volts all the bulbs and ignition modules are un damaged good thing is i only had to wait for twenty mins for recovery(aa)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well it could have been worse :!: but never the less a bit of a dampner on the day. 20 mins for AA that's a record surely :wink:
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Strange you should say that. I've been having a problem with my Battery lately.
Optimiser says its fully charged but as soon as i go anywhere ( lights on, etc ) It wont start again. Bit of a pain bump starting it in a grassy field i'll tell you !
Anyway got home testerday and got the meter on it, showing over 14.5 volts charging. This seems a tad high ?
As soon as i stopped the engine the voltage dropped throughout the 12 volt range.
Removed the battery and put it on the optimiser which immediately started charging it. That was after a 25 mile run, surely it should have been fully charged ?
What do you guys reckon ? Battery buggered ? It is 8 years old ! Or Reg/Rec on its way out ?

Stu.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

yellafella wrote:Strange you should say that. I've been having a problem with my Battery lately.
Optimiser says its fully charged but as soon as i go anywhere ( lights on, etc ) It wont start again. Bit of a pain bump starting it in a grassy field i'll tell you !
Anyway got home testerday and got the meter on it, showing over 14.5 volts charging. This seems a tad high ?
As soon as i stopped the engine the voltage dropped throughout the 12 volt range.
Removed the battery and put it on the optimiser which immediately started charging it. That was after a 25 mile run, surely it should have been fully charged ?
What do you guys reckon ? Battery buggered ? It is 8 years old ! Or Reg/Rec on its way out ?

Stu.
IMO I would say the battery needs replacing :!: Especially if it's 8yrs old, I thought I was doing well when mine needed replacing at almost 7yrs old, the guy at my local bike shop said the average life is around 3yrs :!:
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

yellafella wrote: What do you guys reckon ? Battery buggered ? It is 8 years old ! Or Reg/Rec on its way out ?

Stu.
8 years?????? LOOOOOOL! im lucky if i have a bike last that long!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

Follow the thread on here about changing the reg/rec for a Yamaha R6 item. Seems to do the trick. Plenty of them on ebay and the like.
:D
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
Anonymous

rec reg

Post by Anonymous »

well the good news is that a battery ( varta ytz12s bs gel pack type) is only 45 notes delivered the bad news is the honda upgraded reg/rec( as they have been having a few probs across there range of bikes) is a whooping 158.71, yes the r6 one will work but its no desgned for the out put of the honda alternator
Max

Post by Max »

David Silver do a genuine one for about £80 I dont know if its upgraded, try ringing them

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/index.html

they also have cheaper ones
Max

sirch345
Site Admin

Re: rec reg

Post by sirch345 »

apexer wrote:well the good news is that a battery ( varta ytz12s bs gel pack type) is only 45 notes delivered the bad news is the honda upgraded reg/rec( as they have been having a few probs across there range of bikes) is a whooping 158.71, yes the r6 one will work but its no desgned for the out put of the honda alternator
What about the R1 although I thought they were the same as the R6 :!:

Chris.