are storms top end restricted?

Post by Hanuman »

just curious? :)
The Official Border Hooner.

2001 Storm.
2006 Hayabusa.
trebs

Post by trebs »

if you can remove the Runoutofgrunt restrictor or maybe reduce road and air friction to zero. I dare say you could get a Firestorm to top warp 9, (given a long enough bit of road)

Brakes might need upgrading a tad tho.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Ask Burt Munro. He'd know.
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
PACIFIER

Post by PACIFIER »

trebs wrote:if you can remove the Runoutofgrunt restrictor or maybe reduce road and air friction to zero. I dare say you could get a Firestorm to top warp 9, (given a long enough bit of road)

Brakes might need upgrading a tad tho.
Firstly, I need to confess my love for the big inline fours of yester-year.....But recently I was completely sold on the Firestorm after just one short ride.
After, literally, wringing its neck one morning in an attempt to make it to work on time, I fantasize about doing 235kph down West Street Toowoomba, with plenty of throttle to go.......

Why on earth would anyone want to mess with that?
Dont these things go fast enough? I mean, speed aint everything,right?
The only gripe I have so far with the firestorm is on long rides.....Its not the most comfortable bikes I've ridden....But then again, I always imagined riding a missle wouldnt be comfortable. :D
Max

Post by Max »

With my lower 15/44 gearing I have had over 180 on the speedo (150 in real terms) and have had no restriction come into play. with std gearing you aint gonna get near a genuine 180 anyway
Max

logan7

Post by logan7 »

VTRgirl wrote:Ask Burt Munro. He'd know.

lol girl... i bet burt could get a storm over 500mph
The force is strong in this one
Jake the Snake

Post by Jake the Snake »

So what is the top speed that everyone's got out of their bikes?
I must admit I've only ever gone up to 200kph so far.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Jake the Snake wrote:So what is the top speed that everyone's got out of their bikes?
Lst time 235+ kmph and still far from flat out. Until I realized that I just ran under speed camera 8O

Fortunately it was taking shots from the front :lol:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
gcs

Post by gcs »

Jake the Snake wrote:So what is the top speed that everyone's got out of their bikes?
Gidday Jake, ive gone just past that, but not by much, where are you at?Im in Invercargill, planning a run on sunday with another vtr, if everything falls into place!, my buddy had a fall on a dirt bike and did his tail bone and foot in, so if hes OK, probably thru Catlins to Balclutha, Raes Junction, back thru Heriot/Gore, Hedgehope, probably a couple of tanks of fuel, 400 odd ks depending on weather and how much playtime we have ( demanding wives, vegie gardens, etc) Im not a flat out speed dude, but like to play Aaron Slight
(a lot slower of course) in the twisties, and of course passing anything in the way with a feeling of distain, is fun too. :lol: :lol: see you some time.
Craig from the land of the long white cloud. Teal VTR 2001.
Jake the Snake

Post by Jake the Snake »

gcs wrote:
Gidday Jake, ive gone just past that, but not by much, where are you at?Im in Invercargill, planning a run on sunday with another vtr, if everything falls into place!, my buddy had a fall on a dirt bike and did his tail bone and foot in, so if hes OK, probably thru Catlins to Balclutha, Raes Junction, back thru Heriot/Gore, Hedgehope, probably a couple of tanks of fuel, 400 odd ks depending on weather and how much playtime we have ( demanding wives, vegie gardens, etc) Im not a flat out speed dude, but like to play Aaron Slight
(a lot slower of course) in the twisties, and of course passing anything in the way with a feeling of distain, is fun too. :lol: :lol: see you some time.
Probably wont see you mate, I'm in Hastings.......quite some way from you. :D
Too cold for me down there.
Do you post on kiwibiker.co.nz
MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

I'm pretty darned certain they're not. Some bikes re restricted to 300kph (186mph) voluntarily by manufacturers - before something was imposed, I suspect!

150mph ish seems about right for 100HP ish, I guess.

Saw 140mph today in not much time, more to come had there been room. Not been flat out yet and prolly won't!
Neophyte

Post by Neophyte »

My '98 is actually restricted. It's got some circuit inside the speedometer doing the work when I get to an indicated 190 kph. If I disconnect the speedo sender under the seat the I go way past that. The most I saw on a Sigma BC800 was 237 kph.
glynmitch

Post by glynmitch »

The guy who'm I bought my VTR from had it dyno'ed after it getting it dyno jetted and it apparently got up to 168mph 8O

Now, I've had it up to 135mph (on a private road you understand :wink: )and that was plenty fast enough for me.

Surely there is no point in going at silly speeds and cornering skillfully is far more rewarding/satisfying. Anyone can whack open the throttle and hang on.

Glyn
beenz

Post by beenz »

The storms are massivly overgeared as standard. I have 15/44 gearing which gives a genuine 148 mph at the redline. Bearing in mind that most bikes are reading nearer 160 at this speed this is plenty for road use. The main difference is that it gets there as fast as you can change gear and uses the whole gearbox. Cruising at 6000 rpm gives a genuine 92 mph which again reads as 100 on most other bikes. Fuel consumption does not appear to have suffered.
Max

Post by Max »

beenz wrote:The storms are massivly overgeared as standard. I have 15/44 gearing which gives a genuine 148 mph at the redline. Bearing in mind that most bikes are reading nearer 160 at this speed this is plenty for road use. The main difference is that it gets there as fast as you can change gear and uses the whole gearbox. Cruising at 6000 rpm gives a genuine 92 mph which again reads as 100 on most other bikes. Fuel consumption does not appear to have suffered.
I run 15/44 as well and mine will just about pull 500 over the red line in top, also I find that the fuel economy is much better than original. I used to get 85 to the RLOD but now get about 100.
Max