Thinking of buying/fitting GPS

General Bike chat
craigybaby

Thinking of buying/fitting GPS

Post by craigybaby »

Hey

Have seen the Garmin streetpilot i3 for sale at 120quid from Halfords.

Anyone know if they're any good?

Also, how difficult would it be to mount one under the screen or on the bars of the storm?

How difficult would it to be made waterproof?

Anyone got any ideas or solutions to get a GPS thingy cheap. I don't fancy paying more than 200quid absolute tops for one
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

I have a mate with one fitted he has drilled and tapped the top yoke(blackbird) and has it on a proper holder mount...dont know what he does for the waterproofing?perhaps polly bag? i will have to sak when i see him.
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

i bought mine from halfords.however i use it for work ,im a delivery driver,and i have to go round central london,and it works fine mate!!havent tried it on the bike yet.garmin i3 does exactly what it says on the tin(box) :D

to waterproof it would be a matter of sticking it in a plastic bag..and the sucker mount would be great on the face of the tacho for a mount.no worries mate.go buy it!! :wink:
ImageImageImageImage
SILVER ZIPPER

Post by SILVER ZIPPER »

Dos'nt the goverment want us to have tracking on all vehicle's. 8O
Gps= time,distance, speed. Why pay for something that will be compulsary anyway. :?
Just look at a map write your route on a bit of paper and stick it to your rev counter.
I just guess when i'm ridding i find some good road's that way. :D
I HATE IT WHEN I HAVE TO PUT IT AWAY........
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

but being in the middle of nowehere without a petrol station in sight, is not something i intend to find myself and the bike in

thats why i use a gps :wink:

all be it the Tom tom

the garmin is ok, just a smaller screen, dunno if there is a facility to get the directions into a headset tho' which would be helpful
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
kevg

Post by kevg »

RAM and Touratech both do fitting kits for most type of GPS units.

i have a Garmin Quest which is shower/water proof, is small and has been ok on the comute from paisley to aberdeen and around this area that i don't have a clue about, i'm begining to trust its directions now.

it came with a car mounting suction cup, i've been looking into bike mounts, RAM offer a kit that mounts to the brake or clutch brackets, i don't fancy this one much as i think the GPS will interfere with the faring, i saw someone who had mounted a RAM ball onto the headstock nut of a blackbird, the unit was central to the handlebars and looked more practical. Touratech offer a bracket that clamps to the top yolk either side of the headstock, this is about £100, which is a bit steap.

for power you can get wiring that link the unit to the battery and has a speaker socket that you can plug headphones into, again both RAM and Touratech do these.
cheerz

kev
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

The cheaper ones won't have European mapping, which may or may not be a problem depending on whether you go there!
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

IMHO best bike GPS I saw so far was TomTom Rider. And basically - anything based on TomTom 5 software. One additional nice feature - suprisingly accurate road profiling in 3D view, meaning - when I rode in french Alps it actually shows you that next "invisible" corner is hell of a bend so you can back of trottle a bit...
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Like Kev I use Garmin Quest, ram mount with holder. Audio lead from the mount to both electrics and to head set in helmet. (Rainbow motorcycles)
Works great.
I decided to get one when lost in the lakes, late at night, pouring rain, petrol low................now I know where I am, what the road number is, distance to petrol, food, hotel, etc, oh and it gives the tel numbers of all the above so you could call ahead and book a room.
Can also use it in the car and on foot..............brill
it may be clever, but its not big.
craigybaby

Post by craigybaby »

I'm still confused :?

ive always been one of those people who said "why do i want a computer to tell me where i am when i dont go anywhere i dont know."

but seeing as they're really cheap at the moment and i'm getting out and about a bit more then i would really like to buy one but as i said i dont want to spend over 200 quid on one.

ANy more advice?
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

go have a play with them at Halfrauds, see which one you like
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
FalomVtr

Post by FalomVtr »

Maybe try here

http://ozfirestorm.proboards34.com/inde ... 1138878912

One of our guys did an install and included pics and comments. May be helpful.

Stew
Styler4077

TOMTOM RIDER down in price

Post by Styler4077 »

Rider's now down to £212 ex VAT (£349.10)

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=227&xSec=1
Jason

Post by Jason »

Try this guy I had mine from him, I will try to add pics later :D

http://www.mounts.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

I think the TOMTOM Rider is now down to £250 and would be my 1st choice.