Bearings and discs

General Bike chat
Stratman

Bearings and discs

Post by Stratman »

A couple of questions to my learned colleagues:-

Need two new front discs - would you also replace pads at the same time? Mine have a fair bit of wear left in them.

Rear wheel - if I rock the wheel from side to side there is a slight "knocking". I can't make up my mind if it's the wheel bearings or to do with the cush drive. Anyone had a similar experience?

New engine is fine - must get carburation sorted though as a couple of flat spots but still ahead of Mille's etc when we went to the Dales and Lakes last weekend.
plivesey

Post by plivesey »

If you replace the discs I would do the pads too as a matter of course, but that's just me.

The wheel bearing thing is difficult to say without "feeling" the bike. If there is side to side movement and everything is tightened up as it should be, then it could well be bearings. If I had any doubts I'd replace them, but then I have a bearing shop just down the road from me.
French import, yellow 97 Firestorm. Written off by a french madman, rebuilt by an english idiot.
barrioplano

Post by barrioplano »

I'd say you change the pads as well -- this is for the same reason you change the sprockets along with the chain.

Or you can wait to change the disks until the pads wear off a little more.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Stratman said
Rear wheel - if I rock the wheel from side to side there is a slight "knocking". I can't make up my mind if it's the wheel bearings or to do with the cush drive. Anyone had a similar experience?
If you can rock from side to side that sounds like the bearings. If it was the crush drive you would see the rear sprocket remain stationary when you rotate the wheel forwards and backwards.
Best way to check the rear bearings is to lift the rear wheel off the deck, grab hold of the tyre(top and bottom) and pull with the lefthand whislts pushing with the right and then, keeping your hands in the same place, swap over the push/pull action quickly a few times and see if you can feel or hear any movement.

Pete.l