Model Kits, Airfix, Tamiya etc - Help Needed please?

General Biker Banter

Is Squiffy going to fail terribly?

Yes Blatently, whats he thinking?
No votes
Maybe, I have no idea what a "kit" is?
No votes
Go Go Squiffybat :-)
90%
I havent got a clue and couldnt give a rats butt :-S
10%

Total votes: 10

Squiffythewombat

Model Kits, Airfix, Tamiya etc - Help Needed please?

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Hi Guys.

This is just a quick thread starter in case anybody here can help me? As some of you already know, ive just taken the leap into retailing models, kits and accessories! (yes i am crapping myself!)

Im currantly able to stock: Airfix, Revell, Tamiya, Ripmax, Heller, Academy, Hasagawa, Roden, Dragon and a few others....

What i was wondering is if any of you have any experience with models, and if so could you please answer a couple of quick questions?

1) If you were me what kits would you stock?

2) Im stocking the range of Tamiya 1:12th motorbike kits, any specific bikes you think i should stock? (no sadly they dont do a storm!)

3) Any tips, comments or the like would be really helpful!

4) My first "venue" will be Biggin Hill International Airshow, so any ideas, comments, flames on exhibiting at this sort of location would be great...

IN FACT ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY RECIEVED!!!!!!
Safe Riding All
Toby

PS-dont worry ive not forgotten about the stickers :-)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
droid

Post by droid »

You seem to have all the bases covered re kits - will you also be stocking the detailing kits?
Stocking cheap (art school) airbrushes and compressors slightly :roll: cheaper than Revell's efforts would be good.
Can't think of owt else. If I do I'll post

All the best with your venture. If you're doing a website (stupid question I know) put a link up!

Droid
[/u]
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I can't help you I'm sorry to say with your posting, but I wish you all the best with your new venture :!:

Chris.
kevg

Post by kevg »

used to make models years ago, room was covered with them.
Timiya always seemed to be the best with regards to detail and the fit of pieces etc. but times have prolly changed a bit now, not been near a kit in ages.
good luck with the business.
would like to get into it again some time, if i could prise myself away from the pc games and the pub. do they still make the large scale bike models , think they might have been 6th scale with the metal parts?
only thing i could sujest would be to try and tailor your stall to suit the crowd, do airfairs, bike shows etc, unless you are going to general model fairs as you'd need to take everything with you. and as also stated earlier, sell the suplies of paint , brushes and spray gear.
cheerz

kev
Squiffythewombat

thanks for the input guys...

yes im a little concerned on the paints as they cost a small fortune. i was planning to go for the classic cheap brushes (any pros use an artshop anyway) and have a humbrol rack. However people have been telling me that the Tamiya paints are becoming more popular :-S

Airfare wise, yes i wont be taking many military and naval kits but hundrads of planes :-)

Yes Tamiya still make the 1:6th scale bikes, although theres only a CB750F, GSX1100S and some weird 50cc thing...oo and monkey bikes (if they even count). The kits themselves are pretty good, with metal, chrome work, rubber hoses and the like, although when alls said and done i think the scale is a bit odd (hence the small range) and the detailing and "look" of the small 1/12th scale range is better. They still dont do a VTR tho :-(

droid im REALLY not sure about the detailing kits as theres so many and they are so specific, i think they would be best only really for the website as creating stock lists, buying each echted part could take a life time. However saying that i was considering extra decals sets as they seem very popular these days..

Thanks for your input guys :-)
Toby
Squiffy_The_Wombat

trebs

Post by trebs »

I've built a load of the Tamiya kits, for myself and other people.
As far as I'm concerned, they beat the others hands-down for quality and accuracy.
Why was I building kits? Well I studied as a pro-modelmaker for film/architecture and industrial design. We "kit-bashed" a lot of kits to make them superdetailed. i.e. made our own parts to replace the poorly made or inaccurate parts. The Tamiya stuff was a joy to use.

As for custom decals, that might be a nice idea. However, making up a good set of "46" stickers, although not hard, might cause some copyright issues :/

Paints.. why not offer sets of paints? a complete set of the colours needed for model "X" no need to pre-package them, but make note of what colours are needed for each model (normally mentioned on the outside of the box) the offer them at an attractive price. Not only comes over as a goo and pro' service, but saves the modeller a lot of agro, getting home to find he/she is missing a pot of "anthracite metalic sky-blue pink/satin"

Brushes, yes.
Airbrush kits.. probably a good idea. Look for the rechargable air canisters though, rather than the disposables. Again, lean on the pro' sales angle a bit.

One big tip. I've seen loads of people selling kits at carshows, etc.
Stack of battered boxes and block sitting in plastic chair, un-shaven, looking miserable, puffing on rollup. Generally a bad impression.
Maybe invest a bit of time making up some kits and displaying them, even in various build stages.
Video presentation... video yourself or someone building, edit it up, make it interesting. Making these kits is fun, and the results are great but kit building does have a bit of that trainspotter effect.

Good luck, I wish you all the best.

Trebs.
Squiffythewombat

omfg god trebs, every time i speak you to you come out with more intresting stuff! your becoming my idol, lol!

Im stocking most of the range of Tamiya acryics and hopefully if the cash flows correctly i will be getting the enamel rack in a couple of months. Im not stocking airbrushes as of yet because its mostly the pros who use them and they cost a bucket....although i do love my aztec ;-)

decals are a nightmare as theres THOUSANDS of variations for thousands of aircraft so at currant im just doing those "on order"

SOOOO true about the grumpy man and grumby boxes, thats exactly what i dont want!!!!! Ive got a few promo models made for display and Tamiya are sending me a load of their seconds for free to make as display models which is nice of them :-)

having a video of someone modelling tho is a BLOODY great idea, not so sure how i would go about it, seeing as most models take many hours. it would either be UBER editing or a timelapse? if you have any idea on this that would be great!

im exhibiting at biggin hill airshow as ive a strong feeling that aircraft kits should sell well there! im also looking at some boat show down in southampton!

please see my other thread on bankrupt stock too if you wouldnt mind!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS!!!!
Squiffy_The_Wombat