New VTR

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
T3VTR

New VTR

Post by T3VTR »

Hello guys.

I brought a 98 vtr imported from Japan in April.
I love the bike and I can see why you guys do!

My bike is currently due for its 16k mile service.
I have had several quotes to install manual timing chain tensioners, carbs balanced and valve clearances done.
They range from £550-£950, iv contacted 3 of my trusted local garages, is the quotes given to me are accurate?
They quoted from 8-12 hours plus £170 in parts bar from the tensioners.

Please let me know if there is any riders from Staffordshire area would love to go out for a ride!

Is there any other modifications needed for the vtr?

Thank you and God bless. Joe
MacV2

Re: New VTR

Post by MacV2 »

DIY. The easiest bike to work on if you have a few tools.

Plenty of 'how to' in the workshop knowledgebase section.

Failing that a friendly Stormer from your neck of the woods will be along shortly to offer a hand...

I'd happily offer my services but I'm in North Kent, having said that I've had Stormers from up your way, plus Cheshire, Bristol to name a few visit.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Joe :thumbup:

The voltage regulator/rectifier is a weak point on the Firestorm, but the chances are it has already been changed by a previous owner. A MOSFET type R/R is the best option for a replacement,

Chris.
T3VTR

Post by T3VTR »

Thank you Chris.

I'm almost certain he said to me that he fit an R6 reg.
My temperature gauge isn't working aswell.
Is it worth buying a 2nd hand one and just replacing it? Thank you brother & god bless
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

T3VTR wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:45 am Thank you Chris.

I'm almost certain he said to me that he fit an R6 reg.
My temperature gauge isn't working aswell.
Is it worth buying a 2nd hand one and just replacing it? Thank you brother & god bless
If your OEM regulator/rectifier didn't have any cooling fins on it, then yes one from an R6 would be a better option as it has cooling fins.

As for the temperature gauge, I have heard of the sender unit failing before (it's on the thermostat housing near the bottom of it), but it could be the gauge itself as you mention. I would check all connections and fuses are good before replacing either. Iirc the Haynes Workshop Manual tells you how to do a test for the gauge,

Chris.

**EDIT** I had a look at the workshop manuals. To test that your temperature gauge is not faulty, pull the wire from the sender (Thermosensor) at the thermostat housing, using a length of wire earth the connector on the engine. Turn on the ignition and the needle of the gauge should move right over to the other side of the gauge if it's not faulty,

I pulled this from the Honda manual:
Temperature gauge test..jpg
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir, thats a fair size bill just to really do the valves and a carb balance :sad2 . as for the temp guage, start with the silly thing thats happened to me a few times, look at the thermo housing, you should see one wire going to it, they can have a habbit of falling of, just make sure its pushed on properly :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
acrmnsm

Post by acrmnsm »

This is defo a DIY job. 900 is getting close to the value of the bike?
Same with the reg/rec, the guide posted looks super easy.
1997 Red Storm.