Your future post ICE death.

General Biker Banter
MacV2

Your future post ICE death.

Post by MacV2 »

Yes folks this is the future according to Honda once the Internal Combustion Engine has been killed off.

This was dead when I went to move it... A jump start got it moved but it needed the main battery charging.

They have a 12v normal battery to power things up before the main Hi voltage battery kicks in to drive them.

If, as in this case, the 12v battery is dead you ain't going anywhere... This one was so flat it wouldn't take a charge to the main battery ???

So an over night charge of the 12v batt. then on to the main charger.

Meanwhile in the next bay was a Hyundai being charged via a 240v wall socket... Time to full charge ??? 96hrs! ( yes there are fast chargers,* all electric vehicles come with 2 charging cables. one for the fast charges & one for 3pin sockets)

* in true BCA forward thinking at present there are only 3 double charging points at the charging point. So only 6 cars can be charged at a time.

4 more single points have recently been added but they are specifically for the New Audis we are getting in...

Remember the future's GREEN Greta says so...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MK_WF

Re: Your future post ICE death.

Post by MK_WF »

I have electric vehicles since 2017 (mostly company cars).
There were Volkswagen eUp, eGolf, ID3 and also an Audi eTron.
We even bought an eGolf for family use in 2022.
I once even tested a Zero SR/F which was fun but a bit over my budget.

From my point of view these cars fit perfectly for people with own houses, ideally with a PV roof and a driving profile that consists mainly of short trips.
Plus you still need a second car with an ICE. (All of that applies in our case)

As soon as you don't own an own charger or you have to drive 300km per day or you need a trailer, it doesn't really make sense for you.
Unfortunately most governments all around the world give a s... and try to ban ICEs in near future.
Bye
Martin
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Totally agree Martin... But & I do have a big but... Whilst a lot of these cars show 250/300 + miles range when fully charged, it all depends on how they are driven.

Speed, stop start, urban, m-ways... Lights on ? Air Con ? all have an effect on battery range.

This is the best bit all our plug inn devices inc. cars, the batteries will last longer if you only charge to 80% & don't drain down past 20%.

Now I'm not sure how true that is but it kind of makes sense. But in the case of EV's that means your only going to get 60% of the range.

& when the batteries are so bad they wont take full charge the cost of a replacement battery pack is going to cost more than the cars worth.

Plus in the good old UofK we don't have the infrastructure in place to do long journeys in EV's. Not everyone owns their home or has the space to have a dedicated charging point.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If electric cars are being re-charged by non-green electricity companies, how is that helping the climate?

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

As much use as a chocolate fireguard for the driving i do :lol: .. if thats the future kill me now :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I think we're heading towards an upscaled Scalextric solution, where the cars "drive" along charging/powering tracks on longer journeys, otherwise it makes no sense for anything except urban, local journeys to the out-of-town shopping malls.

But it's interesting to see that some manufacturers are starting to ignore the government and develop hydrogen solutions instead.

None of which will make any sense for motorcycling.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:16 pm If electric cars are being re-charged by non-green electricity companies, how is that helping the climate?

Chris.
Bingo! Considering this seems to be the case in many corners of the world, one is merely displacing the source of emissions. It is for this very reason they should NOT be called Zero Emissions Vehicles but Displaced Emissions Vehicles.

One other thing. Not sure how it is in the UK, but here in Canada our electricity grid is NOT up to the job of distributing electricity for millions of cars. Worse yet, we do not produce enough electricity to power them all. We are heading into a wall! Finally, here in Canada we have this season called winter, and existing batteries seriously underperform when cold. Add to that the need to provide heat for the driver (anything with an element requires mondo energy) and your range is basically a few blocks.

I am open to electric cars (and bikes) but we need to do a lot of work before we're ready to transition, regardless of what our politicians say

Rant over!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:49 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:16 pm If electric cars are being re-charged by non-green electricity companies, how is that helping the climate?

Chris.
Bingo! Considering this seems to be the case in many corners of the world, one is merely displacing the source of emissions. It is for this very reason they should NOT be called Zero Emissions Vehicles but Displaced Emissions Vehicles.
I'm pleased to see it's not just me who thinks this way :wink: :thumbup:

I have also seen the 'Zero Emissions' on the rear of car's, it's ridiculous B/Sh1t sales terminology, even though some cars may be charged by green energy, it most certainly is not anywhere near all of them.
mik_str wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:49 am One other thing. Not sure how it is in the UK, but here in Canada our electricity grid is NOT up to the job of distributing electricity for millions of cars. Worse yet, we do not produce enough electricity to power them all. We are heading into a wall! Finally, here in Canada we have this season called winter, and existing batteries seriously underperform when cold. Add to that the need to provide heat for the driver (anything with an element requires mondo energy) and your range is basically a few blocks.

I am open to electric cars (and bikes) but we need to do a lot of work before we're ready to transition, regardless of what our politicians say

Rant over!
It sounds like your electricity grid in Canada is very similar to us here in the UK. Incentives are already available here for householders to use high power consumption items at off-peak times. Obviously a very good reason for that, struggling to keep up with demand would be my guess.

We need ways to store electricity that is generated at the less demanding times to help cover the high usage periods such as it is in the winters.

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:06 pm

Chris.

I have also seen the 'Zero Emissions' on the rear of car's, it's ridiculous B/Sh1t sales terminology, even though some cars may be charged by green energy, it most certainly is not anywhere near all of them.
mik_str wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:49 am One other thing. Not sure how it is in the UK, but here in Canada our electricity grid is NOT up to the job of distributing electricity for millions of cars. Worse yet, we do not produce enough electricity to power them all. We are heading into a wall! Finally, here in Canada we have this season called winter, and existing batteries seriously underperform when cold. Add to that the need to provide heat for the driver (anything with an element requires mondo energy) and your range is basically a few blocks.

Rant over!
It sounds like your electricity grid in Canada is very similar to us here in the UK. Incentives are already available here for householders to use high power consumption items at off-peak times. Obviously a very good reason for that, struggling to keep up with demand would be my guess.

We need ways to store electricity that is generated at the less demanding times to help cover the high usage periods such as it is in the winters.

Chris.
Agree about the storage, but we need more production, period. We simply do not produce enough currently (LOL) to meet the forthcoming demand. I don't see any major projects coming that would help us meet the future demands (at least here in Canada). It's just a green mirage and it will blow up as we inch ever closer to 2035 (date when ICE cars will no longer be sold... supposedly, here in Canada anyhow). The world needs to get its act together and master nuclear FUSION. IMO, it's the only thing that will save our sorry, irresponsible human asses.

Rant over!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:47 pm
sirch345 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:06 pm

Rant over!

Chris.
Agree about the storage, but we need more production, period. We simply do not produce enough currently (LOL) to meet the forthcoming demand. I don't see any major projects coming that would help us meet the future demands (at least here in Canada). It's just a green mirage and it will blow up as we inch ever closer to 2035 (date when ICE cars will no longer be sold... supposedly, here in Canada anyhow). The world needs to get its act together and master nuclear FUSION. IMO, it's the only thing that will save our sorry, irresponsible human asses.

Rant over!
I'm not sure if Nuclear Fusion is the way forward personally, simply because of lack of knowledge on my behalf, but may be that is one possible option?
One thing is for sure something has to be done as you say. If we all had to run electric vehicles tomorrow, transport here in the UK at least would be dead in the water.

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Had it on a mech list today. Dead again.!
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

15 minute cities, the days of riding to the Lakes on your Storm will be taken away.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mav617 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:23 pm 15 minute cities, the days of riding to the Lakes on your Storm will be taken away.
Exactly :evil: :evil:
We won't be worrying about transport then,

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Mav617 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:23 pm 15 minute cities, the days of riding to the Lakes on your Storm will be taken away.
I'll be posting myself and flying by drone :D
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Maybe there is some hope. 2000bhp Transit anyone ?

8O