Old man eyes

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Old man eyes

Post by freeridenick »

I'm getting sick of not being able to see close up so what are you guys using to solve having old eyes, and where did you get it/them from?

Being short sighted I can take my specs off and see right up close, but then have to hunt for my specs to then find my tools. If I leave my specs on I have to contort my neck to get my sodding varifocals in the right place. Which is a pain kneeling down next to the bike. I want to keep my specs on and still be able to see whatever I'm working on. Advice please

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

KermitLeFrog

Re: Old man eyes

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Contact lenses with reading glasses hung around your neck. Much better than varifocals. You can also get varifocal contact lenses but they never worked for me. WRT reading glasses, buy a few cheap ones so it's not a great loss when you sit on them.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i feel your pain nick :lol: .. it was costing me a fortune in broken glasses so i sent my prescription with my order i think on Wish, ordered a box of 6 sets for a tenner, job done, i still loose the odd set but for a tenner does the job.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Poundland or if your feeling flush B&M. For readers
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Readers would work if I wasn't so short sighted. I've tried my partners and I'm better off without. They'd work with contacts but I can't be arsed with them for half an hour on the bike. Maybe a stronger magnification will work though.

I'm thinking some sort of magnifying glass on a stand might work. Can you get them like an Anglepoise lamp??

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yep!
And some of the good ones have a circular light around the lens built in.
I always used one when repairing circuit boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Getting old is a complete pain in the butt. I'm short sighted so wear contact lenses tuned for distance for riding & driving but now have three sets of reading glasses for using the computer, reading & close up work.

With everything requiring an app on your phone to do anything it is a nighmare as it gets a tad frustrating if I don't have the right glasses with me ro see the phone. A lot of apps become unusable when you have changed the base font to a larger one.

Al.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

firestorm_al wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:05 am Getting old is a complete pain in the butt. I'm short sighted so wear contact lenses tuned for distance for riding & driving but now have three sets of reading glasses for using the computer, reading & close up work.

With everything requiring an app on your phone to do anything it is a nighmare as it gets a tad frustrating if I don't have the right glasses with me ro see the phone. A lot of apps become unusable when you have changed the base font to a larger one.

Al.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Not all fun and games is it :eh: :eh:

Chris.
integerspin

Post by integerspin »

Does anyone want five pairs of -2.5x and five pairs of -4.0x glasses?
I rather stupidly bought - instead of +, I didn't have my glasses you see[I clearly didn't]

When I first started to wear specs I think the quickest I broke a pair was a few seconds: put a new pair on,
looked at a rule, put the glass down then stood on them!
Now they last months, I get a new pair out when I find myself moving my head around trying to
find a clear bit of lens to look though.
I buy the cheapest I can.
The last lot I bought were 29p a pair from ali express!
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Contacts and pinching my partner's reading specs is one option but I don't wear my contacts very often. More use on the mountain bike, especially map reading .

I've been looking at Anglepoise-type magnifiers and there are loads of them. I can decide whether to get one on a stand or with a clamp. Feels like the clamp might be useful. Could be attached to the bike or my bench.