ignition control module leaking

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RodneyT

ignition control module leaking

Post by RodneyT »

Couldn't find anything on the forum so have started a new topic. Hoping someone can help
I have just bought a 1997 VTR1000 with the idea of turning it into a race bike. It hasn't run for at least 6 years and is pretty tatty but all there.
The ICM and converter unit were unattached form the undertray and dangling over the side of the bike while on its side stand when I picked it up from the previous owner. Last night I moved them to the undertray so they didn't put a strain on the wiring loom. This morning, I noticed very thick sticky liquid under the ICM and it appears to have come out of the unit around the wiring connection. It looks and feels just like honey (didn't try tasting it, though!) but doesn't wash off. Judging by the gunk pn the base of the unit, it has been leaking for some time but mostly dried out.
If the unit is filled with some sort of thick sticky liquid I presume if it leaks out would not be good and that it is now, presumably, stuffed.
I'd be grateful if someone is able to confirm my suspicions and advise best course of action.
If I find too many more problems I'll just use it as a parts bike for my 05 model.
A quick perusal of the internet shows there are some 2nd hand units, but nothing within Australia I could find so would have to come from overseas.

MacV2

Re: ignition control module leaking

Post by MacV2 »

I have a few. Msg me we can sort out a quote for shipping. I'll need personal contact info for the customs paperwork ect ect blah blah. Best done on private mesg...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
RodneyT

Post by RodneyT »

Thanks MacV2
I tried to use the private message but it wouldn't let me :( Not quite sure how to get this working.
Maybe if you message me it might let me reply, but not sure
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Sent you a msg Rodney.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

RodneyT wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:47 am Couldn't find anything on the forum so have started a new topic. Hoping someone can help
I have just bought a 1997 VTR1000 with the idea of turning it into a race bike. It hasn't run for at least 6 years and is pretty tatty but all there.
The ICM and converter unit were unattached form the undertray and dangling over the side of the bike while on its side stand when I picked it up from the previous owner. Last night I moved them to the undertray so they didn't put a strain on the wiring loom. This morning, I noticed very thick sticky liquid under the ICM and it appears to have come out of the unit around the wiring connection. It looks and feels just like honey (didn't try tasting it, though!) but doesn't wash off. Judging by the gunk pn the base of the unit, it has been leaking for some time but mostly dried out.
If the unit is filled with some sort of thick sticky liquid I presume if it leaks out would not be good and that it is now, presumably, stuffed.
I'd be grateful if someone is able to confirm my suspicions and advise best course of action.
If I find too many more problems I'll just use it as a parts bike for my 05 model.
A quick perusal of the internet shows there are some 2nd hand units, but nothing within Australia I could find so would have to come from overseas.

i had the very same problem a few years ago, bike started to run strange then wouldnt run over 6k.... the same as what happens when they are timmed 180% out but i knew mine wasnt.... what happens is the goop inside that holds the unit and electronics together breaks down and you start getting strange stuff, it wouldnt rev clean then the revs started to drop until 6k was the max revs it would go to.

chuck it in the bin problem solved :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MK_WF

Post by MK_WF »

As it's for a race bike:
Ignitech know offers a Plug and Play kit DC CDI P2 for the later HISS models.
The box replaces both the a ICU and the converter.
The CDI has a build-in quick shifter that just needs a sensor (also available from Ignitech) in the shift rod.
Bye
Martin
RodneyT

Post by RodneyT »

Thanks All
As confirmed by fabiostar, the unit will now be junk. :( but MacV2 is helping me with sourcing a replacement :D

Cheers
Rodney