Whirring, Jerky and cracking noise from clutch

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
PAVTR-Mito

Whirring, Jerky and cracking noise from clutch

Post by PAVTR-Mito »

Hiya everyone. New to the vtr firestorm, was riding an sv before this bike. Picked up my new firestorm last week. Haven't had much time to ride it since because of the typical rubbish uk weather. Today was the second time out on it since owning, and I spent a bit of time getting used to the difference, handling and engine noise etc. I notice what seemed to be a rotating, whirring, almost transmissiony type noise under load when between 3/4k rpm. I couldn't tell if was normal noise or unusual, was also difficult to tell where exactly it was coming from as the previous owner has debaffled the original exhausts! I presume its either the clutch or wheel bearings though. In regards to the clutch is everybody else's vtr very notchy between 1 & 2? I get the feeling something is off with my clutch/transmission as I can be in 3rd and it clunks/snaps when knocking down to 2nd, and isn't easy at all when clutch controlling through slow moving traffic. I noticed a few times when pulling the clutch in this same type of snap almost like the clutch plates weren't disengaging properly. The same thing happened a few times if pulled up, after putting into neutral if I blipped the throttle I heard the same snapping noise even though I hadn't pulled the clutch in and bike wasn't in gear. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms or have an idea what's going on? Any advice will be appreciated. Cheers :D
tony.mon

Re: Whirring, Jerky and cracking noise from clutch

Post by tony.mon »

Check chain tension and rear cush drive rubbers before anything else.
Also swingarm bearings to make sure the chain tension is staying where it should be.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

As Tony suggests :thumbup:
Also check the rear of the bike suspension works properly when you stand beside the bike and push down on the seat, it should return back up without any weird sounds coming from the shock linkage bearings or shock itself.

The Honda gearbox I doubt will be as smooth as the Suzuki SV was, but apart from 1st to 2nd gear change the rest should be pretty good. I find changing up from 1st to 2nd fairly soon making the most of the torque helps, rather than revving it out in 1st before changing up. Once in 2nd gear going up the box or back down to 2nd should be a smooth operation.

If you put the bike in gear without the engine running try pushing the bike to see if the clutch is freeing off when you pull the lever in :?:

Chris.
PAVTR-Mito

Post by PAVTR-Mito »

OK cheers guys. I will go over these things when I have a bit of time free off work. Its in for a service at the end of the week so il ask them to check over these things. Il post what they find in case anyone else has similar symptoms thats driving them up the wall! Thanks :D