180° out...like I'm a 5 year old

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Noob1000

180° out...like I'm a 5 year old

Post by Noob1000 »

Alright guys so iv gone thru all the forums I can find on this topic and their has been some great explanations. Now that being said I'm a very visual person and reading and understanding without seeing it can be confusing. So I belive I understand the concept of my bike being out 180 degrees but I want to make sure the way I'm looking at it or picturing it is correct.

So for the story...I picked up a sweet 03 vtr1000 for a pretty good deal. When I test drove it tho I stayed pretty low on the rpms and didn't push it as much I should have maybe(my first sports bike, 10+ years riding dirt bikes ImageImageends up being useless) well I drive it the 1 hour I had to home no problems and riding pretty conservative. I take the bike out later that evening with a buddie up a canyon and being a dumb ass I forgot the rear tire was bald and well let's just say poor decisions were made. I walked away and the bike drove home just fine. (Right fairing, right radiator(cause the mounting brackets snapped off) front master cylinder, and a new rear tire) and she was good to roll again. Now I did get to get on the back and am now feeling and experiencing the same symptoms many have when their timing is 180 out. Also as of a couple days ago I hear a slapping type noise when I first start it and until it gets warm. Once warm noise is gone. I checked and have the stock cct. So I'm assuming it old ccts (45k miles) so ordered some manual onse to install hopefully this weekend. At the same time I will be checking timing. Kinda curious as to what has been done to it recently that timing was messed with...

Ok so about timing. The way I'm understanding is that right now my rear cylinder is firing and then 90 degrees later my front is firing. So looking at a clock, cylinder 1 is firing at 12 and cylinder 2 at 3. But what need to be happening is cylinder one at 12 and cylinder 2 at 9. Is this a correct way of looking at it?

I appreciate you reading all this nonsense and helping me make sure I fix this correctly. Pics of the finished product Image️ posted ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Noob1000 on Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Re: 180° out...like I'm a 5 year old

Post by tony.mon »

Your clock analogy doesn't work, because the crank will rotate twice for each complete cycle. The cams only rotate once, though.

Try reading through the thread in the workshop knowledge base, that might help.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Noob1000 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:12 pm

Ok so about timing. The way I'm understanding is that right now my rear cylinder is firing and then 90 degrees later my front is firing. So looking at a clock, cylinder 1 is firing at 12 and cylinder 2 at 3. But what need to be happening is cylinder one at 12 and cylinder 2 at 9. Is this a correct way of looking at it?
The front should fire 450 degrees after the rear then after the front fires it's 270 degrees until the rear rear fires
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Noob1000

Post by Noob1000 »

tony.mon wrote:Your clock analogy doesn't work, because the crank will rotate twice for each complete cycle. The cams only rotate once, though.

Try reading through the thread in the workshop knowledge base, that might help.
Ok glad to know it dosnt work like that cause it was kinda confusing me. Woukd u be able to drop the like to the exact one u are talking about?...I feel like iv read and reread everything I can find on it

Noob1000

Post by Noob1000 »

What does someone have to be doing or messing with to put timing 180 out?

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Noob1000 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:23 pm What does someone have to be doing or messing with to put timing 180 out?

Not setting the timing correctly is caused by not turning the crank to the correct marks on the flywheel. Usually taking short cuts when fitting CCT's...

Read this several times...Then read it again before picking up any spanners...

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 47637a2421
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Search the Workshop Knowledge base for : Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's).
Start with the rear cylinder and follow the guide from that point on.
But you might as well fit manual CCT's while you're doing it, as it will duplicate the work otherwise .
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Noob1000 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:23 pm What does someone have to be doing or messing with to put timing 180 out?

It could be down to a garage mechanic repairing a front cylinder standard cam chain tensioner failure (or a DIY mechanic at home even). Once he/she has replaced the bent valve(s) and has re-fitted the cylinder head he/she then goes about setting the valve timing. If the mechanic doesn't realise these engines (as Tony.m says) run a two revolution cycle of the crankshaft for the valve timing equalling 720 degrees, he/she could set the FT timing mark on the flywheel at the TDC (top dead centre) position thinking that is it. But getting back to the point above, the FT mark could be 360 degrees out. 360 degrees out would equal 180 degrees out at the camshafts.

When you go to fit your manual CCT''s pay particular attention (in the link Mac posted) to which way the cam lobes are facing, and the RE & RI and FI & FE marks on the cam wheels are facing once you have the RT for the rear cylinder and FT for the front cylinder marks on the flywheel aligned,

Chris.