Naked VTR suspension setup

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Aly

Naked VTR suspension setup

Post by Aly »

Hi All, this is my first post but I have been crawling through posts for days now. I just acquired a 2003 vtr1000 that has been mostly converted to a naked bike. I has a single rad in front and its causing a clearance issue (rad on tire at almost full travel). There is a few ways to fix it but the way I would prefer is to drop the forks in the yoke and fit mx bars (stock ergonomics suck imo). From reading here I know this is not ideal from a handling perspective but I could really use the extra ground clearance and need the full travel (live at the end of a rough dirt road). My question is what is the the maximum lift to be obtained without ruining the handling? (ie chasing the lifted front with spacers in the rear). What amount of change did you make front and rear? I'm not a talented or crazy rider, but like my toys to work moderately well. Thanks in advance.
TaxiDriver

Re: Naked VTR suspension setup

Post by TaxiDriver »

A picture would be most helpful.........
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

You are right that moving the forks down through the yokes will slow the steering down, so you would need to raise the back to return the rake angle to normal.
You can raise the back by adding spacers under the top vertical mounting bolt that goes up through the frame just behind the tank rear mount. A couple of things to be aware of when adding spacer:

1) there is a ratio on the rear shock so 6mm spacer will move the rear wheel spindle at least double )might be x3, but I cant remember). So you need top measure from the rear spindle up to a reference point to the tail unit to verify how far the rear wheel has jacked up, so you can match the front changes.

2) there is only so much you can jack up the rear end before the linkage at the bottom of the swing arm hits the exhaust. Again I can’t remember how much this is but it is about 7 or 8mm of spacers.

3) you will need a longer side stand or it will fall over

4) you will need to be over 5ft 6” as the seat will now be higher.
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

A 6mm spacer in the top shock mount raises the tail by 19mm.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Aly

Post by Aly »

Thanks gents, just the info i was looking for. Photos will follow. Im waiting on heavier springs, bushes, seals to setup the forks and will trial it with the clipons rotated to see what i think before committing to the cnc yoke. I vaguely remember on a 1200 bandit ditching the bars in favour of ebay clipons. Nothing like a change just for the sake of it...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Aly wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:16 pm Thanks gents, just the info i was looking for. Photos will follow. Im waiting on heavier springs, bushes, seals to setup the forks and will trial it with the clipons rotated to see what i think before committing to the cnc yoke. I vaguely remember on a 1200 bandit ditching the bars in favour of ebay clipons. Nothing like a change just for the sake of it...
I was thinking the same as you that upgrading the front forks might help (with linear springs for your body weight) as unless you are a real lightweight, then the standard fork springs will be too soft, so not helping with the rad touching the front tyre.

Forum member "Radwan" has a similar set up, he is using a Yamaha FZ6 radiator:
viewtopic.php?p=502747#p502747
Aly

Post by Aly »

Aly

Post by Aly »

Yeah, his looks like a larger rad, but no fans so its in tighter - gets behind the tire. The rear fairings on that thing are sweet, tidy looking bike all round. Sorry for the shite photos.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Aly wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:45 pm Yeah, his looks like a larger rad, but no fans so its in tighter - gets behind the tire. The rear fairings on that thing are sweet, tidy looking bike all round. Sorry for the shite photos.
Ah yes, a fan would make a difference.
See how things are once you've uprated your forks,

Chris.