Old VTR, new motor

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
OzBeefer

Old VTR, new motor

Post by OzBeefer »

Morning ladies, and thanks for the add.

Time to revive Candy to her former glory, I've busted 2nd gear, the clutch is stuffed, and there are strange noises coming from the front sprocket (too many missed gears whilst wheelieing).

So instead of taking it to a shop like normal people do, I've picked up a second-hand motor that's supposedly in decent condition and will do a transplant. (Candy has MCCT already so that will come across, not to mention extremely well-balanced carbs!)

Any tips for not destroying it completely or should this be a relatively straightforward swap?

cheers,
Adam
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Old VTR, new motor

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Adam :thumbup:

Sometimes the front engine mounting bolt can be seized in the engine mounting points, but hopefully with your bike being in a drier climate than us here in the UK yours will be okay,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep. The main engine bolt (runs just behind the front cylinder head) can be difficult to budge.
On occasion I have had to either sacrifice the old engine or the frame (depending on what's scrap) or Dremel a slot in the cast lug behind the front head and have it welded up again afterwards.
Hopefully yours will free off with some penetrating fluid and perhaps some heat.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:09 pm Welcome aboard Adam :thumbup:

Sometimes the front engine mounting bolt can be seized in the engine mounting points, but hopefully with your bike being in a drier climate than us here in the UK yours will be okay,

Chris.
The environment the bike lives in makes a world of difference. Here in the US the corrosion issues are almost non existent and my last swap was a day job with no issues. So it can be quick and easy (with the right tool for the mounting bolts) or a real PIA :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The casting around the centre mounting bolt forms a "cup" which holds water and causes corrosion.
Maybe drilling a drain hole might be the answer?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Nosepicker

Post by Nosepicker »

Hi and welcome :wave:
Best of luck with the engine swap
Bad choices make good stories :D