Major c**k up, help required!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
LewisB

Major c**k up, help required!

Post by LewisB »

Not a great thing to find out before my birthday ride…

Oil coming from the cam cover, snapped bolt (I noticed it was loose and it pulled right out.

I need a plan of action to fix this. I’m abosultly gutted
LewisB

Re: Major c**k up, help required!

Post by LewisB »

Crisis averted ImageImage
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

So how did you stop drilling swarf from getting into the engine?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Well done on getting the broken stud out mate 👍
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Good save!

Has it recently been worked on? Seems odd to have randomly sheared off.
Jamie :wave:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Count that as a lucky escape :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The good thing about shearing one of those cam cover bolts is, due to the shoulder on the bolt it stops the thread tightening up like a normal stud does, meaning it stays lose in the threads of the cylinder head. They are easy to shear though. I have managed to undo a sheared one by unscrewing it enough with a small electrical flat blade screwdriver so you can grab it with a long nosed pliers to undo and remove. At least you got it out :thumbup:

As Tony says, what happened to the swarf?

Chris.
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

tony.mon wrote:So how did you stop drilling swarf from getting into the engine?
First I packed the crevices with rags, then when drilling, regularly dip the drill bit into grease, this will make the shavings and dust stick to the bit, clean the bit lots and wipe with a rag as you go
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

sirch345 wrote:The good thing about shearing one of those cam cover bolts is, due to the shoulder on the bolt it stops the thread tightening up like a normal stud does, meaning it stays lose in the threads of the cylinder head. They are easy to shear though. I have managed to undo a sheared one by unscrewing it enough with a small electrical flat blade screwdriver so you can grab it with a long nosed pliers to undo and remove. At least you got it out :thumbup:

As Tony says, what happened to the swarf?

Chris.
I count myself lucky them as it could have been a lot worse. At first I thought I wouldn’t be able to get my drill in behind the wheel and though I might have to drop the engine. Hence why my original post was a tad dramatic haha
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

Jamoi wrote:Good save!

Yep, totally my fault I think! I recently had the cam covers off to check clearances. I did them up l too tight (I’ve now ordered a torque wrench) but I know for sure it didn’t snap when I did it up! The only thing I can put it down to is that I put a hairline fracture in it, and when I had it running the other day the heat expansion got to it? I know that sounds very unlikely, maybe even impossible? But it’s the only think I can think of right now as I am 100% sure I did not feel it go loose!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LewisB wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:31 pm

Yep, totally my fault I think! I recently had the cam covers off to check clearances. I did them up l too tight (I’ve now ordered a torque wrench) but I know for sure it didn’t snap when I did it up! The only thing I can put it down to is that I put a hairline fracture in it, and when I had it running the other day the heat expansion got to it? I know that sounds very unlikely, maybe even impossible? But it’s the only think I can think of right now as I am 100% sure I did not feel it go loose!
Due to that shoulder on the bolt, it stops the threaded part from bottoming out when tighten it up, therefore what happens with over tightening is the threads get stretched before shearing off, don't ask how I know :shh: :wink:

Chris.
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

sirch345 wrote:

Due to that shoulder on the bolt, it stops the threaded part from bottoming out when tighten it up, therefore what happens with over tightening is the threads get stretched before shearing off, don't ask how I know :shh: :wink:

Chris.
Thank you engineers who put a shoulder on those bolts ImageImage
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LewisB wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:46 pm
sirch345 wrote:

Chris.
Thank you engineers who put a shoulder on those bolts ImageImage
I imagine the shoulder is to prevent anyone putting to much pressure on the cam cover seal by over tightening the bolts, also by having shoulders on all four bolts that gives even pressure on the c/cover seal all the the way round.

I'll see if I can find the one I stretched, if I can I'll post up a photo.

I think your theory on what happened to yours is feasible,

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The shouldered bolt is so that the rubber cam cover seal is compressed just the right amount to seal the cam cover in place.
As the seal goes through heat cycles, it effectively shrinks a little. Honda don't want you to simply tighten the bolts a bit more, they want to sell you a new gasket each time, so designed the bolts with a shoulder.

Having said that, I simply use a thin smear of silicon on the seal each time, but try not to get any squishing into the engine, as it will clog the oil pickup filter and wreck big ends, mains and cam journals.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I found that stretched cam cover bolt today I mentioned above. You can clearly see the threads that are stretched right next to the collar :eh:
IMG_6009M2.jpg
Chris.