Finally....

General Biker Banter
Rob

Finally....

Post by Rob »

Been promising for years to get my Firestorm back on the road and finally I've at least started...

Bought it new back in 2002, been off the road 8 or 9 years I guess..

Good news, new battery and finally got it running. All sorts of problems until I deleted the original Datatool system 3 alarm.

Now it starts instantly even with the old fuel. Have been recommended Profi fuel max so will get fresh fuel and add that to clean everything.

Clutch reservoir was empty. Pulled through some new fluid and it seems ok, but have ordered a new gasket and rebuild kit. Once that's done I'll get it on a stand and check I can select gears.

Will replace brake fluid.

Tyres are trash, can't even get air in the front tyre, guess the 'gunk' type stuff I used has solidified. Not a problem, wouldn't want to go out on them anyway so new rubber.

Anything else that really needs doing before I tax/insure and take it for a MOT? No problems with it before taking it off the road.

Stored in a garage, but a little corrosion, nothing serious. Not the finest example anyway after using if for 3 or 4 years through the winter for commuting. Done around 25K miles. Will do an oil change after it's passed an MOT and before any real use.

Only run it for a few seconds at a time so far, but damn, forgot how good it sounds!
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
Kev L

Re: Finally....

Post by Kev L »

Welcome back mate 👍
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome back, hope the bike isn’t hiding any more surprises and you get her back on the road :thumbup:
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome back.. i know we bang on about them but if its still fitted with Honda autos change them for manuals, the front one wont have had oil near it for years and you can bet its just waiting to snap :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Glad your getting it sorted, but would definitely get manual cct’s sorted if not done already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome back Rob, I remember having some good chats with you on here :thumbup:

I'm amazed it ran on petrol that old :crazy:
It must have been good stuff back then :lol:

Just to add to the other suggestions, I would service the rear suspension linkage and related bearings for the swingarm etc especially as it's been standing for a long time and had been used through the winters before that. Take a look at this link: https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=11809

Good luck in getting the Firestorm back on the road,

Chris.