Fuel light

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
MasterBlaster

Fuel light

Post by MasterBlaster »

Right, new bug here. I know this subject may have been done to death, but the fuel light on my '99 'storm (13ltr tank) is not working.

Have tested the light (good) and replaced a few thermistors. Still no results. I have got the multimeter out and have found 2.0 ish in the 20K Ohm setting with fuel onboard.

This drops to 1.50 is when the level leaves the thermistor is uncovered.

Are these the right readings, and could I possibly have another problem in the instruments?

Thanks in advance, had my bike two years and bloody love it.

Thanks in advance, chaps.
jchesshyre

Re: Fuel light

Post by jchesshyre »

Might be a stupid question but you do have it connected at the connection under the fuel tank don't you?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:00 pm Might be a stupid question but you do have it connected at the connection under the fuel tank don't you?
i ran outa fuel for that very reason :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

For clarity, the connection is just behind the rear fuel tank pivot bracket, ahead of the battery and under the seat.

You can't plug it into the wrong connector, they are all different, except for two connectors that are the same. One is the fuel tank sensor, as above, the other is located beside the engine on the left hand side where the ignition pickup connects into the loom.
In practice, you can't get these the wrong way round, the lead won't reach the wrong socket, and if you did, the engine wouldn't run.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MasterBlaster

Post by MasterBlaster »

jchesshyre wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:00 pm Might be a stupid question but you do have it connected at the connection under the fuel tank don't you?
Yes, It is connected up fine, the light works when shorted out. However, various replacements have failed to work when connected up and on low fuel. I have recently got another replacement, and still no results.

Could it be the instrument panel?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MasterBlaster wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:40 pm
Yes, It is connected up fine, the light works when shorted out. However, various replacements have failed to work when connected up and on low fuel. I have recently got another replacement, and still no results.

The earth (ring connector) connections on the rear of the panel can become corroded so remove, clean and refit. See if that helps.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MasterBlaster

Post by MasterBlaster »

tony.mon wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:28 pm
MasterBlaster wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:40 pm

The earth (ring connector) connections on the rear of the panel can become corroded so remove, clean and refit. See if that helps.
Thanks, will try that.