Jet recommendations / carb work

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
LewisB

Re: Jet recommendations / carb work

Post by LewisB »

I decided to do a vacuum test with lighter fluid gas, then I had a thought, I’d it possible that it’s just evaporating and being sucked into the air intake? So I did the test with wd-40. Drenched the front carb boot in it and no change to idle speed?!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

LewisB wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:24 pm Yep I made sure to take the time to seat the boots well, and I am sure the carbs went in all the way. They popped in and I had a lot of my weight pushing down to ensure they where seated correctly. I think I’ll take them all back off, give the surfaces another clean and try again. I am using the original fasteners so many I’ll nip to a shop tomorrow and replace them with new jubilee clips? But I did inspect and clean them and they seemed okay. I’ve ordered some copper rtv silicone so I will give them a coat of that as well because I’ve been scratching my head for a couple days and searching far and wide on the web and can’t seem to figure out why new boots are behaving like the old ones.

I should add, that it is the front one that’s been leaking, before and after replacing the boot. Unless it’s not the boot? But the leak must be very close to it for the carb cleaner to get in and stall the engine Image
Just read your latest post with the WD40 test, so you probably won't be replacing the rubber boot clamps now with jubilee clips now.

However I was going to say both front and rear clamps have a hole in each that are there for keeping them in the right place so access is achieved once fitted for tightening up and unscrewing the threaded bolts. The rubber boots have a spigot which the holes in the clamps fit over, well they do on OEM parts so I presume yours will too. If you do end up with jubilee clips you will have to think about that.
LewisB wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:19 pm I decided to do a vacuum test with lighter fluid gas, then I had a thought, I’d it possible that it’s just evaporating and being sucked into the air intake? So I did the test with wd-40. Drenched the front carb boot in it and no change to idle speed?!
How odd, as you thought it did make a difference with the carb cleaner :crazy:

Is it the heat from the engine warping the new inlet boots then :?:

Chris.
LewisB

Post by LewisB »

Thanks for the reply chris.
Yeah so the new boots look like oem repo’s with all the locating nibs and stuff.

I thought the air or lid sucked air from the nose of the bike but on closer inspection the big rubber scoop on the lid looks as if it doesn’t take it from anywhere in particular so that’s why it seems likely that the carb cleaner is flashing and all getting sucked up into the airbox, where as the wd40 stays as a liquid therefore showing me that the boots don’t have a problem (unless we think about the molecule size and how gasses can seep through smaller gaps than water can)

I’ve had another play with the idle screws today and seem to have got them in a better position.

I bought a proper balance gauge after doing the hose and ball bearing method of balancing.
I got it very wrong with that method! And using a gauge I managed to get them spot on.

I will be balancing again soon and checking the tps as I’ve been fiddling with everything I do t know what’s set correctly anymore