2008 Varadero Rattle during cold start in rear cylinder

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
NewfieVaradero

2008 Varadero Rattle during cold start in rear cylinder

Post by NewfieVaradero »

Hi,

I'm having a weird issue on my 2008 Varadero, wrong bike I know but very little information over here in Canada on them so figured you guys may have an idea. Basically during cold start as she's idling down I get a momentary rattle from the rear cylinder at around 1600 RPM for around 5-10 seconds. Once warm it's gone and doesn't come back until the next cold start. She only has 10,000 Km on her, both CCT's are new (didn't make any difference when I replaced them), Valve lash is perfect, no wear noticeable anywhere on the cam chain or guides but rattles every time when cold. Any idea where to look or button her up and learn to live with the noise? Thanks for the help.
tony.mon

Re: 2008 Varadero Rattle during cold start in rear cylinder

Post by tony.mon »

Does it go away if you pull the clutch in?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
NewfieVaradero

Post by NewfieVaradero »

No it doesn't. It's a different noise then the Clutch basket rumble (it does have this and disappears when the lever is pulled). The noise pretty much comes from the top end of the rear cylinder and only in those specific conditions. It's loud enough to be heard from the other end of a parking lot and then disappears instantly and she purrs like a kitten.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Get a video up, that will help.
You say you replaced the cct's, I assume with standard Honda ones. If so, you can't relax, I did the same and one failed 18 months later.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:00 pm Get a video up, that will help.
You say you replaced the cct's, I assume with standard Honda ones. If so, you can't relax, I did the same and one failed 18 months later.
I also had a brand new OEM Honda CCT playing up only after very low mileage, it appeared to be not taking up the slack of the cam chain at the appropriate time, hence allowing the cam chain to flop about more. I could only detect the noise though from the slack cam chain on the over run around the 3,000rpm point,

Chris.
NewfieVaradero

Post by NewfieVaradero »

Here is a video of the noise, sounds a little more rattly in person. Like I said once the engine has any heat in it it disappears until next cold start.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's just clearances closing up as the engine reaches operating temp, don't worry about it.