Tyre and oil choice.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Garon Hawes

Tyre and oil choice.

Post by Garon Hawes »

Hello
I'm new to this forum and Honda VTR Firestorms, i have owned big V twins in the past (Aprilias) and fancied dipping my toes in again, i picked up a lovely well looked after 24 k bike for £1.100 quid a few weeks ago and i absolutly love it, the CCT issue has been sorted and the rectifier/regulator has been upgraded.
I will be changing the oil and filter and tyres shortly, so my question is what's the best oil to use and what tyres best suit this bike?
Kind regards
Garon.
tony.mon

Re: Tyre and oil choice.

Post by tony.mon »

Haha! Great introduction.
Now everyone will tell you what tyres they have on, and claim that those tyres are the best possible choice, same with whatever oil they use.

Everyone wants to think that they made the cleverest and best-informed choice, but actually they bought a set of tyres that happen to be in stock, weren't a cheap unknown brand, and weren't the most expensive either.

The fact is there's no bad tyres around, most people don't use anywhere near the limits of any tyre currently on the market, and they're all capable of handling the sort of performance of a Storm.
Similarly with oil. Any half decent 10/40 semi synth is fine.

So, what's the next question, which colour is fastest or how can you boost power without spending any money or doing any work?

From our side, we'll tell you to get manual ccts on it if not already done, (or you'll die horribly), and also that the reg rec will fail at some stage if it hadn't already been replaced. Box already ticked for you.

Never mind all that, get some pics up with bins in the background and you'll fit right in.

Oh, and read the Workshop Knowledgebase section, the answer to any question you can think up is almost certainly already in there.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:43 pm So, what's the next question, which colour is fastest?
It's blue - Teal to be precise. Any fool knows that. 😬
Insufferable halfwit.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Evening,
Don't mind whitty Tony, he's prob been on the sherry, or sniffing chain cleaner again.
Re tyres, depends on how you ride but if you were to put a poll out you'd find most are on Pilots of some generation. 4s are still available and 6s get the nod from the thrashers. But as Tony said there's no mega crap ones about, just some last longer than others

Hi by the way.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Ooh great. Someone else asked the tyre question so I didn't have to. I'll be interested to see what folks suggest. Pilot 6s get a massive thumbs up from loads of people, including the Feds. The only thing I don't like is the tread pattern. Considering I won't be going out in the rain unnecessarily, I want something a bit more sporty looking but not a track day tyre.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir.. pretty much everything answered you asked... tyre wise they are all black and round these days. on a storm you will run outa ground clearance before most tyres give up the ghost.. iv used Road 5s on a few bikes, they last for ever and are more than sticky enough, tho one thing i still feel is they have a strange feeling when you roll onto the soft shoulders but wont let go..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I found a tyre review in an old copy of Practical Sports Bike mag. M9RR, S22, Power 5, Corsas, a Continental tyre and another that I've bloody forgotten.

The Michelin Power 5 came out the best followed closely by the Metzler M9RR. All the tyres were more sport than sport touring but still road-focused. These two came out top by a bit of a margin offering stability, fast warm up speed and comfort, but especially good feel. I'll be looking at one of these.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk