Sheared off header studs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ChrisSwindon

Sheared off header studs

Post by ChrisSwindon »

Me and my bright pissing ideas….got headers off to give a quick cheap refurb to, had one stud left in…did the usual (thread release, heat, and used stud puller) and the frigging things sheared off leaving 3-4mm sticking out.

Any suggestions would be welcome, the obvious kinds also.

Cheers guys.
Pentode

Re: Sheared off header studs

Post by Pentode »

Do you have, or have access to a mig welder? Just thinking about welding a nut on the remnants of the stud and gentle ease it back and forth - the welding also dumps a load of heat into the stud which helps 🤞

Very best of luck anyway 👍
Insufferable halfwit.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

ChrisSwindon wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:16 pm Me and my bright pissing ideas….got headers off to give a quick cheap refurb to, had one stud left in…did the usual (thread release, heat, and used stud puller) and the frigging things sheared off leaving 3-4mm sticking out.

Any suggestions would be welcome, the obvious kinds also.

Cheers guys.
Hi Chris, this is quite a discussed subject.

We have a search box at the top righthand side of the forum, but seeing as you're fairly new here I'll let you off this time :lol: Plus that may not be so easy to see depending on what device you are using for Internet access.

If you typed this into the search box "sheared off exhaust stud" you would get 21 matches, as in this link: https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/search.p ... haust+stud

One that sprung to my mind which may help you is this one: https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 56#p456056
But before attacking it with a Dremel or such like, have a read through the matches and then decide which action to take :)

What Pentode suggests may work for you,

HTH's and good luck,

Chris.
ChrisSwindon

Post by ChrisSwindon »

Hi,

Apologies for adding to an already exhausted topic, have used the search function now so if ever I repeat a topic that has already been answered snap me like the stud I snapped today!!!

Unfortunately haven’t access to a mig welder currently (though in the process of making a good case to get one to the wife) so will try blow torching, spraying thread release, and wiggling a bit more…and if that fails will go the dremel route.

Thanks for everyone’s patience.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

ChrisSwindon wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:38 am Hi,

Apologies for adding to an already exhausted topic, have used the search function now so if ever I repeat a topic that has already been answered snap me like the stud I snapped today!!!

Unfortunately haven’t access to a mig welder currently (though in the process of making a good case to get one to the wife) so will try blow torching, spraying thread release, and wiggling a bit more…and if that fails will go the dremel route.

Thanks for everyone’s patience.
You'll fit in well here :lol:

Chris.