leaking petrol under tank

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Knobby69

leaking petrol under tank

Post by Knobby69 »

I have just started my VTR after what now must be over 4 years under a sheet. 4 or 5 stabs at the starter and it started to fire, but immediatIey started leaking Iots of petrol from under the tank.

I think that I am right in saying that there no normaI petroI tap, but one that works by vacuum when the engine is started. I cannot see what is happening with the tank on, but with it off there wiII no petroI suppIy to go any anywhere. I am sure it is something easy, but not to me at the moment!
A big thank you for those that take time over this issue.

NigeI
freeridenick

Re: leaking petrol under tank

Post by freeridenick »

Perished fuel lines, perished float bowl seals, perished anything. Standing for that long I'd start with all the rubber bits and go from there. If they're all OK. Strip the carbs and give them a damn good clean. Stuck float valves could be the problem.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by freeridenick on Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Knobby69 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:23 pm I have just started my VTR after what now must be over 4 years under a sheet. 4 or 5 stabs at the starter and it started to fire, but immediatIey started leaking Iots of petrol from under the tank.

I think that I am right in saying that there no normaI petroI tap, but one that works by vacuum when the engine is started. I cannot see what is happening with the tank on, but with it off there wiII no petroI suppIy to go any anywhere. I am sure it is something easy, but not to me at the moment!
A big thank you for those that take time over this issue.

NigeI
That is correct regarding the petrol tap. It could be that the diagram has failed in the petcock, it has a outlet spout facing downwards on the tap at the rear of it. You can check that with the tank still fitted if you pull the fixing bolt out at the rear of the tank and raise it slightly, assuming you have the earlier version bike (16ltr fuel tank). Otherwise the petcock is mounted on the frame not the tank. There is a special tool in the tool kit if you have one to support the tank, but be careful as it's not the best support.

Apart from that as Nick has already said,

Chris.
xeris

Post by xeris »

Another possibility, though less likely, is the o-ring that seals the fuel level sending unit. It's another rubber bit.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Hi,

I've got exactly the same issue after less than 2 years under a cover & posted like you did recently- see: https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=45502. Unfortunately I haven't got round to fixing it yet so can't say what the problem, but if & when I do I'll let you know. It seems corroded rubber hose or the carbs (probable a stuck carb float) is most likely & my nose says its the carbs but I'm no expert. Hope it doesn't prove tricky for either of us!

Good luck,

MIke