Tyre blow out at 100mph

General Biker Banter
wezrvf

Tyre blow out at 100mph

Post by wezrvf »

Well, i was in my mates car coming down the m6 back from scotland yesterday and at about 100mph the car started vibrating skided out of control for about 300 yards done a full 180 and we ended up in the fast lane facing the trafic it was wombles scarey i had to climb out the window becaseu we hit the central reservation and my doow wouldnt open and everyone around was slamming on their brakes and skiidding round us. When we looked the tyre had just blown, it was that simple. We must have drove over something but i really do feel lucky to be alive right now but then i started thinking could this happen on a motorbike because if it ever does you would have no chance, please put my mind at ease.
Cheers guys
Wez
d&s

Post by d&s »

8O Are you going to take ou a lotto(pools)ticket. Pretty messy if youd been on the bike. 8)
Submariners go down for a living..!!

dark&stormy
(the bike stupid)
kevg

Post by kevg »

yup, it can happen on a bike if you get a big enough hole in it, happened to me on the motorway, in the rain and on a bend i had just moved into the fast lane and accelerated past 90mph to pass some slow tit sitting in the middle lane when the back end started snaking violently, managed to slow down and get it into the hard shoulder,when i looked at the tyre it had a hole you could get your thumb in, looked like a large bolt had punched through it. the tyre was completely shagged from driving it flat for the 100 yards or so it took me to stop.
cheerz

kev
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Wow!
Glad your still here 8O
If it's any help, i've had sh!t loads of punctures and so far so good.
normally your luckier than kev and it's just a nail or screw and the first thing you notice is your bike andles like a bag of poo. If you've got any sence stop,get off, and check.
Not even Gloop or tyre weld will help you with a big puncture so just pray if it happens your going in a straight line

Pete.l
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

VTR1000KAZ wrote:glad you're ok Wez, even if a little shaken.

Always check tyre pressures too before a long journey :wink:

Yeah Wez ! If you dont have any air in it then it wont blow out !!! :lol:

You been dying your hair blonde again Kaz ? :lol:
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

No need to be like that ! Told ya i'd buy another bottle !!! :lol:
Had some nice fish n chips in Coxhoe today, bit pricey though and the lass behind the counter was a right miserable c*w ! :roll:
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Thought about textin ya ! But then thought . . . .nah, cant be arsed !!!!! :lol:
Seriously though, i was on a mission and had only seconds to spare to nip in and grab some fodder. Did keep my eyes peeled for a mille, but only ducks were out today ! Hit some serious downpours just a bit further south on the A1, wipers going full blast and i couldnt see the bloody road !
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

The same time i was there ! Your MG isnt grey is it ?
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Ah well. Keep your eyes peeled next time for a white renault master van with logos of fork trucks on the side ( oh and a gorgeous guy sitting in front ) :lol:
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Usually passing between A1 and A177/A19, generally use that route or thereabouts. :D
BigD

Post by BigD »

........anyway back to the tyre thread :wink:

Has anyone seen or got 'Punctureseal'. It aint gonna stop a bow out, but does fix a flat (apparently). £25 for front and back.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

If its the same stuff i saw a demo at a show. Worked fine, but only for low speeds to get you home. Good enough reason for me, if only there was a bit more room under the seat ! :roll:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

BigD wrote:........anyway back to the tyre thread :wink:

Has anyone seen or got 'Punctureseal'. It aint gonna stop a bow out, but does fix a flat (apparently). £25 for front and back.
Get "Ultraseal" Instead
£25 for a bottle which will do both tyres, tested to 165mph, stays in the tyre for the life of the tyre, stops any leak up to 8mm, supposed to increase mileage. BMW and AA tested and approved.

Used it for years, works great, get a nail in your tyre and just go home and rip it out :P

Pete.l
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.L wrote:
BigD wrote:........anyway back to the tyre thread :wink:

Get "Ultraseal" Instead
£25 for a bottle which will do both tyres, tested to 165mph, stays in the tyre for the life of the tyre, stops any leak up to 8mm, supposed to increase mileage. BMW and AA tested and approved.

Used it for years, works great, get a nail in your tyre and just go home and rip it out :P

Pete.l
Could not agree with you more Pete, that's what I use,

Chris.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Right ! Sign me up ! Where do i get some ? M&P ? How about a bulk order for discount ? Any ideas ?