rotting exhaust flange

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
sammy347

rotting exhaust flange

Post by sammy347 »

2inch Exhaust Flange,Low-carbon Steel Flat Oval Split Repair Exhaust Flange Replacement Accessory
hi all do these things work from amazon my front one is falling apart, i tried to copy and paste the image but it wont show, the flanges are 21 quid , cheers
MacV2

Re: rotting exhaust flange

Post by MacV2 »

sammy347 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:30 pm 2inch Exhaust Flange,Low-carbon Steel Flat Oval Split Repair Exhaust Flange Replacement Accessory
hi all do these things work from amazon my front one is falling apart, i tried to copy and paste the image but it wont show, the flanges are 21 quid , cheers
No Idea , but these are made specificaly for the Storm...

https://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 08#p495108
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sammy347 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:30 pm 2inch Exhaust Flange,Low-carbon Steel Flat Oval Split Repair Exhaust Flange Replacement Accessory
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Sammy, they would probably do the job providing they fit correctly, but I personally would go with one of Mac's specifically made Flanges for the Firestorm Headers, also they are made of stainless steel, whereas the ones from Amazon are not,

Chris.
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

MacV2 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:05 pm
They look terrible, you'll be back to square one after no time they're made from scrap metal by looks of em.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

yellabell wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:59 pm
They look terrible, you'll be back to square one after no time they're made from scrap metal by looks of em.
What makes you think they're made of scrap metal?
Some machined flat stock welded to sections of tube is what it looks like to me.
There's no mention of a coating, if untreated or painted they'll rust pretty quickly.

The design should work fine, if they've zinc passivated or some other heatproof coating to prevent rusting they should be ok. I'd replace the two Allen screws and nuts with stainless, though.
These won't work if the rotted part on your engine is the clamping ring on the exhaust pipe, but if it's the clamp itself that has rusted away, these should do the trick.

But I haven't checked the stud centre measurements- please check that the elongated holes will align with the studs on your bike and that the od of the exhaust pipe of is 2" before ordering. Seems about right, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:10 pm
yellabell wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:59 pm

What makes you think they're made of scrap metal?
Some machined flat stock welded to sections of tube is what it looks like to me.
There's no mention of a coating, if untreated or painted they'll rust pretty quickly.

The design should work fine, if they've zinc passivated or some other heatproof coating to prevent rusting they should be ok. I'd replace the two Allen screws and nuts with stainless, though.
These won't work if the rotted part on your engine is the clamping ring on the exhaust pipe, but if it's the clamp itself that has rusted away, these should do the trick.

But I haven't checked the stud centre measurements- please check that the elongated holes will align with the studs on your bike and that the od of the exhaust pipe of is 2" before ordering. Seems about right, though.
Still better to get some that are made for the Storm..Just saying... :wink: