LED Versus H4 headlamp bulb.

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

LED Versus H4 headlamp bulb.

Post by sirch345 »

Mac put me onto these LED headlamp bulbs, so I decided to put one to the test in comparison with a standard H4 headlamp bulb on the Firestorm.

This is the LED bulb used below from here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334319170432
IMG_0268Crop.JPG
Screenshot 2022-07-20 211801Crop1.JPG
Screenshot 2022-07-18 212013.JPG
LED left H4 right side Main Beam..jpg
You'll really need to see the photo's on a bigger screen than a mobile phone to get a good look, also remember to click/tap on the photo's of the comparison ones to enlarge,

What do you guys think :?:

Chris.
MickMick

Re: LED Versus H4 headlamp bulb.

Post by MickMick »

Those LED are whiter than the H4 you are comparing them with, LED can be very directional and not have much light spread on Main Beam. I use LED on 2 of my 3 bikes but these are normally used during the day bikes. One was Type Approved with LED when I registered it. The other is a Classic bike and was done with lense change to get the correct light spread, direction, and light pattern.
My Storm, I use standard H4 to keep it legal for MOT.
A lot of LED ones fail MOT because the headlamp/lense was not designed to be used with LED. You normally need to replace the full headlamp to make the LED compliant.
On my Varadero, I used H4 6k's and had LED spot lights added to the high Beam for night riding.
Hope some of this helps.
Regards
Michael
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The LED sure looks brighter, but it looks in the photos like it has less spread. Is that what you find Chris?
AMcQ
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Hi Chris, I think it's difficult to capture the spread of light in a photo, but it looks to me like the LED has a brighter more intense contact area on the road, but the original bulb has a much better spread of light?

How did you feel they compare in the flesh?
Jamie :wave:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

LED deff looks brighter, bit less spread towards the lower edge on the main.

As previously stated, I fitted this same bulb & went to see my MOT Man.

It was checked on his MOT light testing unit & he was happy with the pattern. Saying it would pass an MOT.

Standard headlight reflector.

:thumbup: up from me not that i do much night time riding these days...

However I would point out that there is a slight diffrence in the bikes position between pics, so have to mark Chris down on his testing process... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MickMick wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:02 am Those LED are whiter than the H4 you are comparing them with, LED can be very directional and not have much light spread on Main Beam. I use LED on 2 of my 3 bikes but these are normally used during the day bikes. One was Type Approved with LED when I registered it. The other is a Classic bike and was done with lense change to get the correct light spread, direction, and light pattern.
My Storm, I use standard H4 to keep it legal for MOT.
A lot of LED ones fail MOT because the headlamp/lense was not designed to be used with LED. You normally need to replace the full headlamp to make the LED compliant.
On my Varadero, I used H4 6k's and had LED spot lights added to the high Beam for night riding.
Hope some of this helps.
Regards
Michael
Michael, I agree with LED's in general can be directional. I have seen some LED indicators like that, bright when inline with the light, but not so good at certain angles, especially when following a vehicle with them in bright daylight. Interesting to hear your experiences with LED lights :thumbup:
AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:10 am The LED sure looks brighter, but it looks in the photos like it has less spread. Is that what you find Chris?
Al, yes that is what I have found :thumbup:
Jamoi wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:16 am Hi Chris, I think it's difficult to capture the spread of light in a photo, but it looks to me like the LED has a brighter more intense contact area on the road, but the original bulb has a much better spread of light?

How did you feel they compare in the flesh?
Jamie, that is exactly it, and how they feel in the flesh so-to-speak :thumbup:
MacV2 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:49 pm LED deff looks brighter, bit less spread towards the lower edge on the main.

As previously stated, I fitted this same bulb & went to see my MOT Man.

It was checked on his MOT light testing unit & he was happy with the pattern. Saying it would pass an MOT.

Standard headlight reflector.

:thumbup: up from me not that i do much night time riding these days...

However I would point out that there is a slight diffrence in the bikes position between pics, so have to mark Chris down on his testing process... :wink:
Mac, I only tried one after you got the okay from your mot testers beam setter, and it certainly shows in the photo's, the beam pattern on dip especially is very similar to the standard H4 bulb I'd say.
As for the photo's not being spot-on :wink: you have to remember I'm holding a mobile phone to take the photo's with in the dark while straddled across the bike trying to keep it upright and steady holding the bike upright with my legs :lol: :lol:

My conclusion
The main plusses I see are
(1) There doesn't appear to be any problems with the beam pattern as Mac pointed out.
(2) Only a 20 watt draw so must run cooler than a standard H4 bulb.
(3) Less drain on the battery.
(4) A whiter light.

For what I use the headlamp for, which is daytime riding with the headlamp on, on dipped beam, ideal :thumbup:

Thanks to all who posted a reply :D

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

''As for the photo's not being spot-on :wink: you have to remember I'm holding a mobile phone to take the photo's with in the dark while straddled across the bike trying to keep it upright and steady holding the bike upright with my legs :lol: :lol:

No excuse for not having the bike in the same spot... :lol: :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:19 am ''As for the photo's not being spot-on :wink: you have to remember I'm holding a mobile phone to take the photo's with in the dark while straddled across the bike trying to keep it upright and steady holding the bike upright with my legs :lol: :lol:

:lol: :thumbup:

Give it ago yourself :D

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:11 pm
MacV2 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:19 am ''As for the photo's not being spot-on :wink: you have to remember I'm holding a mobile phone to take the photo's with in the dark while straddled across the bike trying to keep it upright and steady holding the bike upright with my legs :lol: :lol:

Chris.
I have, To check alingnment. I Painted a line a line on the Floor, cross hatch to line the bike with. With the garage door closed, Shine light sitting on bike take pic. Repeat with differnt bulb... Compare... Only did it once tho as an experiment... The variation from that would only be the position of the camera..

If I was really picky I'd do it again, with various distence markers & a grid on the door.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:19 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:11 pm

Chris.
I have, To check alingnment. I Painted a line a line on the Floor, cross hatch to line the bike with. With the garage door closed, Shine light sitting on bike take pic. Repeat with differnt bulb... Compare... Only did it once tho as an experiment... The variation from that would only be the position of the camera..

If I was really picky I'd do it again, with various distence markers & a grid on the door.
:clap: :thumbup:

If I do it again I'll give you a shout, then you can pop around and be my camera man :lol: :lol:

Chris.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Tempted for the BMW but Cambus gremlins probably await!
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I've been using H4 LED bulbs on my V-Strom 650 for a couple of years and found them a big improvement over standard halogen bulbs. Two MOT's passed with no issues.

Al.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

firestorm_al wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:13 am I've been using H4 LED bulbs on my V-Strom 650 for a couple of years and found them a big improvement over standard halogen bulbs. Two MOT's passed with no issues.

Al.
Same here with the Aprilia. Beam pattern seems ok as far as the MOT goes, but I sometimes get flashed by oncoming cars at night on dip. Not bothered by that, I'd rather be seen than not.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
ItsaKeeper

Post by ItsaKeeper »

I'd like to fit an LED to both my Firestorm and RD; is there an issue with fitting a fanless LED bulb?

Reason I ask is that on the RD forum a fanless one was discussed with power consumption of 10W and the bulb in this thread has a fan and consequently a power requirement of 28W. Both cost pretty much the same but I was thinking that I have a standard Firestorm battery and every little wattage savings help. Am I overthinking this :oops:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

The battery is only on the bike to allow it to be started. Once the engine is running all the power is coming from the stator coils through the regulator rectifier unit so there is no issue with the battery going for LED bulbs. As long as you are not going over the standard 50/65W of the standard halogen bulb you are sitting in the sweet spot between the bike running without the headlight on and having the standard bulb on so no worries.

The reason I went for LEDs on my V-Strom is that I use it all year round so run heateg grips & a heated vest so wanted to be able to run those while the headlights were on. The total load on my electrical system now is well within the total design loading with the bike running halogen filiment bulbs with some room to spare.

The bulbs I have are generic ones off Amazon that use a cooling fan and I haven't had any issues considering how little I paid for them.

Al.