Tarazon brake rotors

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Nosepicker

Tarazon brake rotors

Post by Nosepicker »

Hi guys
Front brake rotors on my 99 Storm is getting a bit thin so I'm gonna try these Tarazon rotors out.
Got them at Amazon through a friend who buys all kinds of stuff there all the time :crazy:
I'll be fitting them and new SBS 622HS pads this coming weekend - if all goes well - and will keep you posted on how they work.
And if I don't... well don't buy Tarazon brake rotors :lol:

Bad choices make good stories :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Tarazon brake rotors

Post by sirch345 »

I use the same brake pads which I find work very well :thumbup:

Fingers crossed the disc's are good,

Chris.
Nosepicker

Post by Nosepicker »

Got the new discs and pads fitted this weekend and rode a 200 km break in trip on my favourite b-roads.
Everything seems ok.
Stopped for a coffee and met a guy who - judging by his stories - invented Honda motorcycles amongst many other things :roll:
He commented on the new shiny discs and said: I can see you've got the right ten bobbin ones.
I had no idea what he ment but apparantly the early models were fitted with ten bobbin discs and later models with eight bobbin discs.
So he told me.
As my behind was starting to ache a bit from his rambling I finished my coffee and drove home.
Safe back in my shed I reluctlantly checked the old discs and they are actually with eight bobbins.
I didn't notice they were different from the new ones :oops:
Now, my Storm is a early model. I assumed the discs I removed were the OE ones from 1999. The bike has done 65000 km's, 48000 when I bought it.
Now, is it a pure coincidence that the aftermarket discs are with ten bobbins or was the guy who sadly talked more than he drank coffee right and my Storm has had the front discs changed earlier?
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

But what is your point, your concern? 8 or 10 bobbins makes no difference. If they work they work. If anything, stress and load will in effect be lessened as it's distributed through the additional 2 forks.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Nosepicker wrote:Got the new discs and pads fitted this weekend and rode a 200 km break in trip on my favourite b-roads.
Everything seems ok.
Stopped for a coffee and met a guy who - judging by his stories - invented Honda motorcycles amongst many other things :roll:
He commented on the new shiny discs and said: I can see you've got the right ten bobbin ones.
I had no idea what he ment but apparantly the early models were fitted with ten bobbin discs and later models with eight bobbin discs.
So he told me.
As my behind was starting to ache a bit from his rambling I finished my coffee and drove home.
Safe back in my shed I reluctlantly checked the old discs and they are actually with eight bobbins.
Now, my Storm is a early model. I assumed the discs I removed were the OE ones from 1999. The bike has done 65000 km's, 48000 when I bought it.
Now, is it a pure coincidence that the aftermarket discs are with ten bobbins or was the guy who sadly talked more than he drank coffee right and my Storm has had the front discs changed earlier?
It's quite remarkable knowledge really, it wasn't Mac was it? Image
No bike (yet).
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nosepicker wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:29 pm Got the new discs and pads fitted this weekend and rode a 200 km break in trip on my favourite b-roads.
Everything seems ok.
So he told me.
You had me checking the number of bobbins on mine :lol: mind you I was working on the bike at the time :wink:

I can confirm my bike has the OEM brake disc's still fitted, it has 8 bobbins on the brake disc's, year is 1999 UK model,

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

My '97 (early release '98 in the US) came with 8 bobbin rotors.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Nosepicker

Post by Nosepicker »

Thanks for your replies guys :wave:

Yellabell:
I agree with you, if they work they work, and I have no concern about the number of bobbins.
I did the trip alone so I guess I just needed to share the wierd experience with someone. So absoluteley poitless :roll: :D

Gilson:
Maybe Mac took a wrong turn somewhere on his trek to Devon this weekend? :lol:

Chris and Hawk:

Thanks for taking time counting bobbins :thumbup:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Just to throw something else in the mix.My bike (now sold to mac) has a Ducati front end with floating discs and it has 9 bobbins.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

Nosepicker wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:55 pm
I'll be fitting them and new SBS 622HS pads this coming weekend - if all goes well - and will keep you posted
What's the verdict on the rotors and how do they feel with the SBS 622HS pads?
Nosepicker

Post by Nosepicker »

yellabell wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:16 am
Nosepicker wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:55 pm
I'll be fitting them and new SBS 622HS pads this coming weekend - if all goes well - and will keep you posted
What's the verdict on the rotors and how do they feel with the SBS 622HS pads?
I have no complaints so far YB
Tried them in the wet for the first time this afternoon on my way home from work and everything still feels ok :thumbup:
So if the discs don't warp and/or wear out over night I would say that they are absolutely usable.
IMO you never go wrong with SBS pads but then again I might be a bit biased :oops:
Nosepicker

Post by Nosepicker »

I've been searching this interweb thing trying to figure the bobbin mystery out, but as far as I can tell the OE discs are all the same.
Sorry for wasting your time guys :silent:
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

My 97 had 8 bobbins, have just scrapped the originals,
you didn't waste anybody's time,
moral of the story is keep away from knowalls coz they usually don't ! :wtf:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Your source might have known which colour paint dots on Honda ccts indicate they are the updated and improved ones, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nosepicker wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:08 pm I've been searching this interweb thing trying to figure the bobbin mystery out, but as far as I can tell the OE discs are all the same.
Sorry for wasting your time guys :silent:
You haven't wasted our time.

What I am wondering is why some have more bobbins than others :eh:

Chris.