Wot to check? VTR buying

General Biker Banter
MrMastodon

Wot to check? VTR buying

Post by MrMastodon »

After a 15yr hiatus I'm thinking of getting another Storm.

Looking at a high mileage but cheap one tomorrow - over thinking it and getting stressed.

Is there anything obvious to check? Am I daft looking at a high (44k?) mileage one?

Thoughts and calming reassurance or otherwise very welcome.

(I'm sure this must have been asked 1000 times before, but every time I go to the search box I get a completely blank mind such is my state of stress)
tony.mon

Re: Wot to check? VTR buying

Post by tony.mon »

High mileage is ok with these, the engine is understressed and everything is mechanically simple.

If you can be satisfied that the seller has some mechanical sympathy and understanding, it's just the usual checks, suspension dogbones and make sure there's no headstock damage or frame/swingarm damage.

Everything else is all about condition.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Same as Tony said. If the bike has been looked after by an owner who has some mechanical skills, the mileage is not an issue.

My bike has more than 44k on the clocks and looks better than new :)
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I also agree with Tony and Al's posts above,

Chris.
MrMastodon

Post by MrMastodon »

Thanks for the reassurance!

So,went and had a look and first impressions were great - hard to believe it's 24yrs old! All standard apart from braided hoses and double bubble screen.

Started up fine (from cold) was very responsive to throttle blips. No untoward noises that I could hear. A very short test ride (would have got lost!) - seemed to rev through the range with no obvious flat spots and brakes were fine (lever came a bit further back than I would like, adjust maxed out, but they worked fine).

So, deal was done £1350. 40mile ride home + a 100mile jaunt this afternoon and no problems have surfaced yet.

Only problem is me - 15 years on comfy bikes (Guzzi Stelvio, Africa Twin). It felt so small and cramped! It didn't when I had one 15yrs ago - maybe the extra 5stone and no fitness might have something to do with it! Wrists very sore now after the 100mile ride and foot cramp a few times! The only solution is more miles on the bike I think.

Back light is a bit too wobbly, broken lug I think, but I'll forgive it for that.

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

At 44k its just getting into its stride :thumbup: .

comfort wise look at changing the bars for VFR750 units or a top yoke conversion.. and i have to mention it but change the auto ccts to manuals if not already done :thumbup: . otherwise feed it decent oil and enjoy the next 100k :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

The sore wrist syndrome is common to any bike thats different to what youve been riding...

As you said the more miles you put in the better you'll adjust to it...

However there are a few things you can try to ease the issue apart from swapping the bars...

Try relaxing your grip on the bars, no need to hang on for dear life ! Relax your shoulders so your not riding with straight arms,a bend at the elbow in other words... Also play with the angle of the controls, brake & clutch lever's adjust down so your hand is not having to bend up to use them...

Also worth a note dont have your gloves too tight...

As for the feet/ankel pain/cramps... There are peg lowering kits out there, or simple move your feet on the pegs as you ride...toes on pegs or ball of foot. If your really cramping up take foot off peg & move foot about to easy issue.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MrMastodon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:02 pm Thanks for the reassurance!

So,went and had a look and first impressions were great - hard to believe it's 24yrs old! All standard apart from braided hoses and double bubble screen.

Started up fine (from cold) was very responsive to throttle blips. No untoward noises that I could hear. A very short test ride (would have got lost!) - seemed to rev through the range with no obvious flat spots and brakes were fine (lever came a bit further back than I would like, adjust maxed out, but they worked fine).

So, deal was done £1350. 40mile ride home + a 100mile jaunt this afternoon and no problems have surfaced yet.

Only problem is me - 15 years on comfy bikes (Guzzi Stelvio, Africa Twin). It felt so small and cramped! It didn't when I had one 15yrs ago - maybe the extra 5stone and no fitness might have something to do with it! Wrists very sore now after the 100mile ride and foot cramp a few times! The only solution is more miles on the bike I think.

Back light is a bit too wobbly, broken lug I think, but I'll forgive it for that.

Good to hear all went very well :thumbup:

As you say, get some more miles in and see how things are once you have got a little more accustomed to the bike. Mac has given you some suggestions, and options if then required :)

Chris.